The palais london road

spikey

Originally posted by Ned Ludd

This is an impressive Art Deco building (or it would be if it was painted white again) it should be protected from the bulldozer.

HANDS OFF!

It's listed.

In my opinion the paint should be taken off and red bricks showing as it would have been before, a lot more cachet and character ! Or has it always been painted ?

This is an impressive Art Deco building (or it would be if it was painted white again) it should be protected from the bulldozer.

HANDS OFF!

I always thought it looked more like Brighton Pavilion than an Art Deco building.

The old Abbeydale picture palace is a listed building so hopefully is safe. The Palais for ages was white and certainly looked a lot better than the present 'black' look. In the 70's it had a private function area upstairs called 'Tree-Tops' my very first venture into a drinking establishment.

Do we have to be rationed then?

In an ideal world they would both be saved, but I suspect that even though they are both listed they will be allowed to fall into such a state of dissrepair that no-one will take them on and they will eventually be demolished (as "unsafe").

I don't think anyone will put any money into either building unless they can make enough money to cover the costs.

Unfortunately, the longer they stand empty the more likely they are to dissapear.

Archived