Never mess with Betty Hill

Anyone remeber Betty Hill..(or sweaty Betty if you knew her well! )

She used to own a couple of corner shops in Sharrow and ended up in a feud with a post office next door to one on Washington Road. Never heard of what happened to her since then. She was a mean machine.. I've heard tales of woe from people who have dared to nick from her shop and felt the full force of a size 8 steel toe capped doc martin in the unmentionables..

She was a legend in her time old Betty.

Betty is still alive and kicking, only not as hard now. She is living in the same area, not been well over the last few years, think she had a stroke.

She just loved to argue with everyone, ban all the kids, and if anyone use to come in with something they got in another shop she use to tell them to go and buy, whatever it was they wanted from her shop, were they had got that. Oh happy days. :)

She ended up selling the shops something to do with family i think. Remember she was on the front of The Star because she had overcome these two robbers once.

did she run the shop on the corner of Priory Road, and Sharrow Lane?

If so, I have a few memories of getting my shopping there!

did she run the shop on the corner of Priory Road, and Sharrow Lane?

If so, I have a few memories of getting my shopping there!

She had a shop on Sharrow Lane, then she had one on Washington Road next door to the post office. Her daughter and son in law ran one of the shops but when they split up I think thats when she had to sell up. I'm not sure if there were any other reasons though.

She had a shop on Sharrow Lane, then she had one on Washington Road next door to the post office. Her daughter and son in law ran one of the shops but when they split up I think thats when she had to sell up. I'm not sure if there were any other reasons though.

Betty hill is a real character, she has been in the star at least 3 times over the years for sending robbers packing. I also remember her having the paper shop at the bridge (heeley bottom) for some time in the 70s. Betty actually lives/lived very near to her old shop on sharrow, wonder what she is doing these days?

I remember her, she used to have a shop on Heeley bridge too, she used to go in the Old Dore Moor pub as well.

Hi...

I've not heard that name for a long time Betty Hill.

She bought The Newsagents you mention on Sharrow Lane off my Grandparents,Mr & Mrs Hazeltine who i lived with.

Yeah shopkeepers like betty & my grandparents back then dealt with robbers or shoplifters alike in there own special way! :gag:

Well i hope shes ok......

Daza......

Hi...

I've not heard that name for a long time Betty Hill.

She bought The Newsagents you mention on Sharrow Lane off my Grandparents,Mr & Mrs Hazeltine who i lived with.

Yeah shopkeepers like betty & my grandparents back then dealt with robbers or shoplifters alike in there own special way! :gag:

Well i hope shes ok......

Daza......

daza,

The outer fascia of the shop, on the corner of Priory road and Sharrow Lane came away from its moorings a few months ago, revealing some rather nice brushwork bearing the shops' previous name of "Hazeltine".

A lot of work has been done in the last couple of months, it looks like the shop front is now going to be housing, and it's looking a lot better than it has done over the last four or five years. The building had become quite rundown. it's nice to see that the workmen are "doing it up".

daza,

The outer fascia of the shop, on the corner of Priory road and Sharrow Lane came away from its moorings a few months ago, revealing some rather nice brushwork bearing the shops' previous name of "Hazeltine".

A lot of work has been done in the last couple of months, it looks like the shop front is now going to be housing, and it's looking a lot better than it has done over the last four or five years. The building had become quite rundown. it's nice to see that the workmen are "doing it up".

Plain Talker

I've not been up sharrow for a few years now,but last i was it was'nt looking its best!

I'll post a picture of the shop.... :D

Daza..

Sounds like my kind o' gal.

After seeing this thread I was in the area yesterday and took the opportunity to take a couple of photos of the shop in question on Sharrow Lane. You can see from these pics how this shop has recenty been altered to accommodation.

Corner Shop 1

Corner shop 2

:)