Mobile Signals in Sheffield

I have a mobile phone on orange and since moving to Norton Lees I can't get a signal in my house, I can a little bit in my attic. Before taking out my contract and moving in I got them to do a signal check and they told me it was fine in the area and not a blackspot. When i moved in it wasn't fine at all, i phoned to complain and they said there was nothing they could do about it. I said I wanted out of the contract and they said they couldn't do that and i was tied. Its not just my house it is all over the place round here when I'm outside.

Does anyone else live here who can get a good signal on any network? I want to change if necessary

Has this happened to anyone else? Can anything be done about it? Surely its illegal that they lied to me in the shop and then wouldn't let me out of the contract?

Originally posted by Foxxx

Before taking out my contract and moving in I got them to do a signal check and they told me it was fine in the area and not a blackspot. When i moved in it wasn't fine at all...

If this is true, then you may be able to get out of the contract as you were given false information before signing the agreement - which probably means the shop is liable rather than Orange.

You need to take it up with the shop manager. How long was it since you signed? You normally have 14 days to cancel a contract for any reason you like!

In my experience, persistance gets you everywhere. I got a "free" upgrade on my handset with Orange and then they tried to charge me £75 because I was inside my 12 month contract. I simply phoned every day telling them I wouldn't pay it and about 2 weeks later they dropped the charge! :lol: (I even got an apology of the person that originally gave me wrong information - I think they may have checked their phone call recordings which proved I was correct, I wasn't told about the £75 in the first place...)

Originally posted by RPG

You cant break the contract no, because its legally binding...

But.. it could be phone dependant, try your sim in a couple of other phones

I did try it in other phones and it made no difference, plus other friends on the same network have the same problem in my area when they come to see me.

As for breaking the contract, I'm not trying to break it exactly, I'm trying to get orange to compensate me for their mistake. I do not like being lied to and I think it would have been the decent thing for them to do. It is legally binding yes, based on false information, which i think gives me a good case! I've been with orange for a few years and always been pleased with their service until I upgraded and signed the new deal. How can they make me pay for a service which they are not providing!

Originally posted by Tony Ruscoe

If this is true, then you may be able to get out of the contract as you were given false information before signing the agreement - which probably means the shop is liable rather than Orange.

You need to take it up with the shop manager. How long was it since you signed? You normally have 14 days to cancel a contract for any reason you like!

The shop was an orange shop, are they representing orange (some sort of franchise) or part of orange itself?? In which case I can go to orange itself. Well I did and got nowhere, even though I was calm and spoke to the top dog. Not impressed, they just didn't care. I think I'm going to report them to watchdog.

You get 14 days if it's your first contract, mine was an upgrade so I resigned for another year and you don't get the 14 days cancelation period anymore :(

I signed quite a while ago now but it makes no difference.

Originally posted by sammie

i seem to get a pretty good signal on virgin if thats any help

Is that in Norton Lees? Reason I ask is that I get a good signal everywhere in Sheffield but Norton Lees.

...even though I was calm and spoke to the top dog. Not impressed, they just didn't care...

There's your problem. Calm people get nowhere. The best thing to do is say "I know it's not your fault but..." and then go off your head.

Just because you extended your contract doesn't mean they can give you false information. Ask for proof that what they said is true and get them to explain why the hell you can't get a signal. If they can magically make your phone get a signal I guess you'll be happy, so ask if that's possible... if not, their not really playing fair.

Edit -- You could always go back to the shop and get the sales person who told you it would be fine and refuse to leave until they can explain themselves. In that case, it is their fault so scream and shout at them...

Is that in Norton Lees? Reason I ask is that I get a good signal everywhere in Sheffield but Norton Lees.

My grandma lives on Bocking Lane, Beauchief. That has bad reception too on orange. I can get full reception once I got out of the front door but when im in the house, whether front or back I get zilch! I just think orange have a lack of repeaters around that area. :cry:

Originally posted by Tony Ruscoe

There's your problem. Calm people get nowhere. The best thing to do is say "I know it's not your fault but..." and then go off your head.

Cheers for the advice, but I disagree, calm people get everywhere, shouting and screaming get you nowhere! It just annoys them and they stop listening.

I had some problems with my bank and through remaining calm and telling them I was disappointed in them etc, I ended up with £500 compensation! Yes £500! Getting angry just gets peoples backs up and they think 'oh here we go again blah blah blah'. Believe me I am queen of complaining, I manage to wangle compensation all the time! I can be very assertive without being aggressive.

However, you have a point, this time it really does seem to be getting me nowhere! Perhaps I should go back to the shop, and shout out loud in the middle of the shop at what they have done until the potential customers in the shop leave being put off!! Then the manager might do something!

Archived