Digital photographs

hi all

help!!

if you were asking people to send you photographs of soldiers headstones,war memorials and memorial plaques using digital cameras, and you wanted to use these photos printed in a book,would you ask the people to set their cameras to certain settings or just let them click away?

Dean

I have a high end digital camera and the automatic function is far better than messing about with manual settings. Just ask them if they are doing close detail to set to micro and normal for shots abit further away.

Todays didgital camers's are just too easy to use :hihi:

hi eric

thanks so much for your response.

i was hoping it was as easy as that, cheers

Dean

hi all

help!!

if you were asking people to send you photographs of soldiers headstones,war memorials and memorial plaques using digital cameras, and you wanted to use these photos printed in a book,would you ask the people to set their cameras to certain settings or just let them click away?

Dean

I'd trust them to know what they're doing - photography is incredibly subjective, and conditions vary from minute to minute! Specifying settings would be the best thing to do if you wanted photos you couldn't use....

Also remember that they own the copyright of the images and you need to mention them. I'm sure you had it covered but you need to do it :)

Also remember that they own the copyright of the images and you need to mention them. I'm sure you had it covered but you need to do it :)

Yep, you'll need them to sign release forms. They (or you) might also need a release from the cemetaries/monuments (councils?) if you're planning to use the pictures for commercial purposes, such as selling in a book.

Oh, get them to give you the spec of the settings which they used. I think it's almost standard now in most photography books so you understand what or why it works. Well, most photograph books for inspiration purposes would do. It depends on what you use the photos for.

Oh, get them to give you the spec of the settings which they used. I think it's almost standard now in most photography books so you understand what or why it works. Well, most photograph books for inspiration purposes would do. It depends on what you use the photos for.

The settings information should be available as EXIF data - it's contained within the file the camera generates (TIFF, RAW, JPG etc...) and gives details about exposure, aperture... everything, really.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/exifreader.html is a piece of software to get this information. I've just found it on google, so I can't say if it's any good or not!

If possible and assuming their camera supports it try and get them to use RAW or the equivalent lossless formats for their cameras. More room for playing with the images afterwards if they do :)

hi

thanks you lot

didnt think it was that complicated! but thanks again for pointing out the pitfalls to me

Dean

Dean1,

If you are interested in war memorials & gravestones I have some of the Crimean War which I took when I was in the Crimea.I also have some of the Stalingrad war memorial complex.

Photographing or filming Gravestones can be a tricky area. When making films any graves clearly in shot are usually faked to avoid any issues.

Also any pictures that someone else produced will be their copyright.

As for the original question, someone who knows what they are doing will usually do a better job than simply pointing and shooting on Auto. And you canot really advice specific settings anyway, as there are too many variables when doing photography to be absolute about such things.