Catcliffe Flooded (16-06-2007)

Came through Catcliffe and see that the Rother at catcliffe is near to breaking it's banks and has partly flooded the land is already flooded. Why have the Environmental agency started to put the barrier down at Woodhouse Mill and started flooding the washland yet?

You may have been better putting this on thread starting It's Raining, schools closed etc........;)

You may have been better putting this on thread starting It's Raining, schools closed etc........;)
its allways good for a sarky comment tho ? CATCLIFFE FLOODED shock horror !!! SO WHAT !!!! the rest of sheffield sort of felt it too and most of its not on a flood plane! like catcliffe and woodhouse bottom ????:hihi: :hihi: :hihi: ilove living in the hills:hihi: :hihi:

Tsk. Catcliffe is not the most affluent areas of Rotherham and these people only had to face weeks of flooding about five years ago. It's the last thing they need tbh.

My uncle used to live on fredrick st at catcliffe and his cellar used to flood if you opened the door to the cellar in the house it used to be 2 steps from the top if it had gone any higher the whole of the gound floor would have been flooded. I feel really sorry for peeps that have to suffer this, all the damage it causes :sad:

Thank God i've never had to suffer the consequences of having my home flooded. I honestly don't know how people cope with the mess and chaos that lasts long after the water has gone.

That area flooded quite a few years ago before they started building those new houses down there. I remember thinking when I saw the new houses going up that I wouldn't fancy living down there if it's on a flood plane....

My grandparents, great-grandparents and various other relatives lived in Catcliffe from about the 1880 's for approximately the next 100 years. The family always used to come out with various stories about the regular flooding, particularly near the bottom of Sheffield Lane. When I used to visit Catcliffe regularly in the 1940's and '50's there were two houses at the corner of Sheffield Lane and Orgreave Lane [ or Road ?].These were always getting hit by flood-water and in the '50's or thereabouts they were pulled down.

Perhaps after 100 years, Rotherham Council may have some bright ideas on how to prevent all this-----but I wouldn't bet on it ; they obviously have lots more important things to worry about.

I grew up in Catcliffe in the 50's and floods were common place. I lived on South View Terrace and although we didn't get it as bad as the bottom of Sheffield lane we did get water on the ground floor quite regularly. Wellies were the commonest form of footwear in Catcliffe in those days

]I grew up in Catcliffe in the 50's [/b]and floods were common place. I lived on South View Terrace and although we didn't get it as bad as the bottom of Sheffield lane we did get water on the ground floor quite regularly. Wellies were the commonest form of footwear in Catcliffe in those days

Do you remember the cobblers,that was my grandads shop.:)

Do you remember the cobblers,that was my grandads shop.:)

Remember it pretty well,had metal studs nailed into my boots many times there.Was it across from the Red Lion, almost under the viaduct? His name is on the tip of my tongue.Cobblers did good business in those days,except when the floods were up, lol Seriously though, shoes had to last along time then.Is the 58 on your user name the year of you birth? That is the year we moved to a new house in Brinsworth.All the best..

Remember it pretty well,had metal studs nailed into my boots many times there.Was it across from the Red Lion, almost under the viaduct? His name is on the tip of my tongue.Cobblers did good business in those days,except when the floods were up, lol Seriously though, shoes had to last along time then.Is the 58 on your user name the year of you birth? That is the year we moved to a new house in Brinsworth.All the best..

His name was Horace carmen ,and yes it was almost under the viaduct.We actually also moved to brinsworth.:)