Old driving instructors and lessons!!!

I think his father was Bill Barton who used to run Roxy School of Motoring. He taught most of my family and friends, most passing first time. I believe he also taught Martin Woodward to be an Instructor, who set up his own school in '73, whose name I now work under.

I learned with my dad and some lessons with Roxy in 1967. They had a 'B' reg 1964 green Hillman Minx. I passed 5 weeks after my 17th birthday and dad bought me an A35 van.AAHHH Cloud nine!

I think his father was Bill Barton who used to run Roxy School of Motoring. He taught most of my family and friends, most passing first time. I believe he also taught Martin Woodward to be an Instructor, who set up his own school in '73, whose name I now work under.

Well i wasn't one of the most, 3rd time lucky:) The first I let the steering wheel run through my hands after turning a corner n nearly clipped a tree with the wing mirror. The second he changed the bloody car from a renault to a hyundai which I had only one lesson in before taking my test, and accidentally felt the knee of the examinor whilst changing gear in to reverse, he had no sense of humour! The third I finally passed 8 months later.

Dad Barton was funny, I spent most of my lessons running errands for him such as meeting the mobile library to swap his books n popping to car spares for bits for the car. My first car was a red 'T' reg vauxhall viva, I loved that car, I had some really good times and lots of memories, but sadly it died on me.

My brother had the son Barton, he thought he was brilliant, his lessons consisted of totty spotting (a bloke thing:))

Hi Mike,

The office was called the "Stores Office" Ted (seem to remember his surname started with a "B" but it was probably "Z". I don't remember Toni Boretti but Tom Robinson I well remember. Tom & Ted were aces with thick rubber bands, if you remember, that office was just littered with the remains of flies that had been splatted against it's walls and ceiling courtesy of those two.

Hi Neil,

I do remember the rubber bands. Tom and I went to infants' and junior school together at Woodthorpe but were separated at secondary level. Tom went to Marlcliffe and I went to Nether Edge. I haven't seen him since I joined the RAF in 1959. Although in the same year at school, Tom was almost a year older than me and had just about finished his national service before I joined as a regular. My link with Richmond came to an end earlier this year when mum died aged 92 so I have no reason to visit Sheffield any more, unless it is to stock up with Hendersons.

Mike

I failed in 1965ish. Had my lessons with Roxy, 17/6 for the hour. All my lessons had been in a blue Hillman Imp, then on test day, they brought a red one. I know it was the same model, I know colour doesn't make any difference but it was a different car with different characteristics. Not only that it was automatic and apart from the lesson just before the test, I had never driven an automatic......

Anyway, as I say, I failed then and

never tried again since.:(

Hi Joanl,

Was it not the case that, if you passed your test in an automatic, you only qualified to drive an automatic. If you passed in a manual, you could drive either? If so, you had a lucky escape.

Hi Joanl,

Was it not the case that, if you passed your test in an automatic, you only qualified to drive an automatic. If you passed in a manual, you could drive either? If so, you had a lucky escape.

Err you know that does ring a bell of some sorts, I know it applied if a bus driver had passed in a normal car he had to do it again in an automatic before he could drive the bus didn't he.....hmmm you've got me thinking now.:confused:

Mike,

Hendersons, now that's worth coming back for.

regards

neil

Neil,

Its not just for me you understand, I have an extended family here, near Peterborough and they are all into it. I even keep it in my caravan on the Norfolk coast.

I was thinking about Ted and whilst I can't remember his surname, I recall that he smoked a pipe and his baccer was Gold Block. I also remembered a small man who was in authority - looked a bit like Jimmy Clitheroe and a young chap who always wore Ted gear and had a DA, pleasant fellow. I think there might have been another young chap in the office called Brad- always smiling. Sadly, I don't remember any females - perhaps I was too young for that at 16!!

Mike

Hi Mike,

It just makes you wonder where Hendersons ends up. A caravan on the Norfolk coast would'nt be everybodies first reply but I'd bet we would be very surprised at some of the places it gets to.

The Jimmy Clitheroe look-a-like I certainly remember, I think he might have been traffic manager because he was always prominent on the shop floor, sounded like JC as well. I don't recall the two others you mention and yes you are right, very few ladies around that part of Charlotte Road.

regards

Hi All

Does anyone remember the "Eddy" school of motoring? It was run by Edmund P Aldritt and based in a little second hand shop on Page Hall Road at Firth Park.

He was a genuine guy, very likeable. One of his habits was to give you the maximum time possible by letting the previous pupil drive you home.

Regards

DD

'Lo Mr. D. :) I do - well, I should, I had a few lessons there. Never did get around to taking that test..... Not that was ever any impediment back then.. Handy for me 'cause my nan lived round the corner on Selby Road.

Next door to Patnicks if I remember correctly? Now THERE was an Alladin's cave!

Dray