Old driving instructors and lessons!!!

I had driving lessons with ERIC ABBEY he never advertised word of mouth was his way of getting customers.i remember the first lesson it was a mini to my horror it was not duel controlled,Erics reply was i,am not learning to drive so he did,nt need any controls.I was in my 30s when i learnt to drive,but thanks to the best instructor ever,. i passed 1st time.All the family son,s son,s girlfriends were taught by Eric.Ithink his son also went on to be a Driving instructor anyone else taught by Eric?

Eric is my uncle, he is still alive and well, obviously long retired. He taught everyone in our family to drive including the odd boyfriend here and there. We all passed first time, he took personal pride in that. He was strict, old school, no nonsense.

I was taught by Ken Whatham who lived on Ellesmere Rd in Pitsmoor he was a great instructor and a good laugh as well. Learnt in a datsun 160j I think it was.

yep he was he taught my mum, dad, brother and me, and stayed firm family friend for yrs after, unfortuantly he had health probs while i was haveing lessons and retired to his house in whitby, so i gave up.

I was taught by Alan Culf,he had a beige Datsun Sunny,he was based in the Gleadless area,haven't heard owt of him for yonks now!:suspect:

I had some lessons with Beauchief School of Motoring back in 1970. The fact that I am still a pedestrian is no reflection on the quality of their instruction...

I Was Taught By The John Kelly School Of Motoring,his Car Was A Cortina 1600e.....i Just Loved Those Cars And That Was The Appeal Of That Particular Driving School

Passed First Time And Don't Know How!great Guy

I had my first driving lesson on my 17th.Birthday in 1967. The driving school was Kennings near the station. The cost was 18 shillings a lesson for 10 lessons plus the driving test total cost 10 pounds. The instructor must have had the patience of a saint and would draw me pictures of what was happening when I changed gear. I hadn´t a clue what a gear was. I still remember the drawings when I drive a different car. My brother who is 2 years older was able to drive on a provisional licence because of the Suez crisis and I passed my test before he did.

Dunreet

Does anyone remember the Dalebrook School of Motoring in the 1970's?

Some years ago I tried to trace an old school teacher of mine, the last I heard he had a driving school that would be about the 80s, his name was Alan A Finch, and his wife was called Pat.

Bit of a long shot but does the name ring anybells?

Some years ago I tried to trace an old school teacher of mine, the last I heard he had a driving school that would be about the 80s, his name was Alan A Finch, and his wife was called Pat.

Bit of a long shot but does the name ring anybells?

I think he used to be a teacher at the school where I teach (King Edward VII School) If it's the same one, he ruled with a rod of iron and taught several staff members to drive.

I passed 1st time about 25 years ago.I had lessons with a woman called Karen from Norton school motoring.:)

My instructor was a wonderful young woman called Christine Beaver. She worked for Maureen Birtle's at Page Hall. Most of my immediate family were taught by her and we all passed first time.

She said that she loved the sound that's produced when one car hits another (as long as no one is hurt). Near the end of each lesson she would say "well, you know your way home from here" and I felt like a dog that had been let of the lead.

Happy Days

Maureen Birtle - sigh - now that's a blast from the past. Maureen herself taught me to drive - took 3 goes I hasten to add.

She gave me invaluable advice that I have never forgotten and use regularly - quickest/fastest way to manouvre corners (when safe to do so obviously) ..... slow in/fast out --- accelerate accelerate when the front wheels reach the apex/brow/halfway round.

Wayyy heyyyyy

Anyone remember Jack Clare at the bottom of Shrewsbury Road / Granville Road.

They had a mini track with roundabout, lights etc.

A blast from the past I know he didn't teach me but did my brother in the 50s.