Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

Hi Babsy,

I went to Standhouse and can remember the teachers names you listed. Miss Lant was my teacher for a while. I also remember your name and some of your other classmeates seem vaguely familiar. Maybe were in the same class? I have a photo somewhere of the school country dancing group... I think Carol Reaney was my partner....do you remember her?

I was six years old in '52 so that might help? Our class used to sell biscuits and choc marshmallows (for the school) in the corridor on the left-hand side as you went into the building.Another name just to mind was Lewis Titterton....ring any bells?

I will be posting a few pictures of Stand House School and the area around it shortly.

Should bring sweet memorys back of the life of luxury we lived,

' When to the ' Manor ' we were born '.

I haven't forgotten you ' Tatty Dumps ' my sisters been away.

I was only saying to Sapper the other day, "I wonder if he's been barred?"

Welcome back Albert it's been very quiet without you. Have a look at the Mobility Scooter thread and you will know what I have been up to.

More recent photos.

Memories of a very active happy, though poverty struck, childhood.

Add any comments. I attended Stand House from 1943(4?) till 46/47. when I graduated to luxury life style by living on the then, New Parson Cross.

The main big difference being was we did not have bugs climbing up the bedroom walls!! though we still had dicks (head lice) but after a few trips to the ' Dick Clinic ' on broughton Road, Owlerton, nr hillsborough Park to be treated with ' Derback Cream ?.

Derback Cream was a ointment which was easily smelt by everyone, So they knew where you had been. However, because you knew that they had not, you felt proud that they could have dicks, but you did not!!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=51864&l=c0255&id=645681893

I was only saying to Sapper the other day, "I wonder if he's been barred?"

Welcome back Albert it's been very quiet without you. Have a look at the Mobility Scooter thread and you will know what I have been up to.

Give me the number and I'll follow it up.

In the early 1970s I started arguing for ALL roadside kerbstones to be dropped at all pedestrian access points. This would enable free movement for those who require to use wheelchairs Etc along with those in prams.

I believe that it is now the law. So if you find any obstruction to your mobility needs tell your councillors to get it solved.

Here are some pictures to bring back memories. Run mouse pointer over picture.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=49201&l=49d5a&id=645681893

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=51864&l=c0255&id=645681893

trying to find ANN CHECKLEY lived Manor Lane. she introduced me to my husband over 40 years ago, need to find her. Laughter

Were many on the forum born on or lived on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s.

If so, What are your childhood memories, Have you a inclination to find others who you went to school or played with? If you moved from the estate, where did you go to?

Did you attend Stand House Junior School, Pipworth Road, Prince of Wales or St Theresa.

Can you recall the raft on both pit ponds at the Manor Top?

Going to Ford via the Old Arrow?

The tossing Ring on the nunnery Pit tip?

Why has the manor estate now got a bad reputation when the people who live there now have got or own riches which as youngsters use to dream off. For me that was mainly acquiring a good meal!!

Do you remember this ryme that we use to chant about the Prince of Wales School Head:-

Old Pop Sephton, Was A Good Man,

He went to church on Sunday's.

He prayed to god,

To give him strength.

To cane ALL the kids

On Monday's!!

In years to come, Someone will write about the Manor Estate and be very pleased that you have left your contribution.

my granma Egley had a friend on the wybourn they call the family FIELDS BECK WAS THE MOTHERS NAME SHE HAD A FEW KIDS I THINK ONE WAS CALLED ROSE

My mum Marina Fletcher nee Batty lived on 146 the circle, with her mum and dad and two sisters Elaine and Hazel. They all went to Pipworth Road School. It was in 1942 when my mum went there.

My mum's best friend was Vera Thompson and she lived on Raven Car Road.

There is a woman that lives in our villiage now who is called Freda Simmons nee Motram and she was at Pipworth Road School in 1937.

Does anyone remember any of these people? It would be nice of you to get in touch.

I Lived At 2 Woodthorpe Close, From 1935 -1959.

I Went To Standhouse School & Prince Edward. I Remember Headmasters

Sefton & Hancock .iwent To St Swithuns Sunday School & Was In The Cubs .

I Use To Buy My Kites From The Same Guy I Think We Called Them Jackmani Kites. I Also Use To Fish In The Pond. We Use To After Climb Over The Iron Fence. Did Anyone Know Terry Leary, Barry Hunt, Charlie Spriggs, Brian Horry, Ken Scott,

Roy Sellars,i Could Go On &on.

I Left Sheffield 1959 Went To Birmingham .then Went Canada In 1976 Still There.

Woodthorpe Close 1935 - 1959. Sellars , Leary , Bramall , Steel, Ludlum, Hunt. Duckenfeild Thats All I Can Remember, A Close Freind In Cary Rd Was Derek Wright,& One In Basseldene Rd Brian Horry. I Have Photos With Both Of Them In Fiftys.

Woodthorpe Close 1935 - 1959. Sellars , Leary , Bramall , Steel, Ludlum, Hunt. Duckenfeild Thats All I Can Remember, A Close Freind In Cary Rd Was Derek Wright,& One In Basseldene Rd Brian Horry. I Have Photos With Both Of Them In Fiftys.