Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

Woodthorpe Close 1935 - 1959. Sellars , Leary , Bramall , Steel, Ludlum, Hunt. Duckenfeild Thats All I Can Remember, A Close Freind In Cary Rd Was Derek Wright,& One In Basseldene Rd Brian Horry. I Have Photos With Both Of Them In Fiftys.

Do you remember the Turner brothers, Carl, Alan, and Brian. They were always up Woodthorpe Close, usually throwing stones at me, their little sister.

Fred Hallam is one name I remember. I too have a photo of the gang on a day trip to the seaside.

i can remember charlie spriggs i used to live next door to his mum when i was a little girl .Mrs Spriggs used to look after my sister and myself in the school holidays whiole my mum and dad were at work.I think he married a girl called Margaret horry who lived down Bassledene road.I used to bump into charlie every now and then in town.But i havnt seen him for years .He must be well into his 70s by now

I lived on the Manor from 1949 to the early 60's. We lived with my Gran at first, on Stanground Road, then moved to a flat above the Ward's fruit shop on Prince of wales Road. I remember being sent for a haircut every few weeks to an old guy who lived further down the street. He used to cut hair in his greenhouse at the bottom of his garden. The thing I remember most about him was that he constantly wheezed in my ear as he cut my air. He must have been cheap because there always seemed to be hordes of kids waiting their turn.

Pipworth was an ace school and I was very happy there. There were lots of good teachers (Mrs Tucker, Miss Dawson, Miss Glen and the big guy who ran the football teams), lots of good mates and always something going on.

I never walked to Ford, but we cycled there most weekends. In fact we cycled all over Derbyshire at a very young age. I doubt kids of that age now would be allowed to do what we did, even if they wanted to. It may be pure nostalgia but life was simpler, neighbours were better and life as a child was a bigger adventure.

Hi Roy

I don't know how to send photos on the forum but I can send them by ordinary email. If this will help get back to me on my email address Cheers mave

On bonfire nights in years 1950/54, my husband lived bottom house Basseldene Road opposite O'Briens. Mr Morton a neighbour was requested to play his banjo, this was customery on this night. My husband went to school with Sid Morton, does anyone know where he lives now? Sid recently wrote an article in the local paper? He is on the same school football photo we are trying to trace.

I have a book in front of me with recollections of Prince Edward School, the writers used to have a meeting at Stand House School, does anyone know the whereabouts of any writers of this book there is a number of Oliver on the back but it looks an old number. Could do with talking to them. Thanks

On bonfire nights in years 1950/54, my husband lived bottom house Basseldene Road opposite O'Briens. Mr Morton a neighbour was requested to play his banjo, this was customery on this night. My husband went to school with Sid Morton, does anyone know where he lives now? Sid recently wrote an article in the local paper? He is on the same school football photo we are trying to trace.

hi sid morton is my uncle thanks for the bit about my grandad and is banjo

Hi there, do you remember the Star family of Windy House Lane, lived next door to Hewitts, also Mr Nixon we used to play cricket against his wall, when the local policeman came he gave us a wallop, the policeman was a regular visitor to Stars house.

hi sid morton is my uncle he lives at tinsley

hi sid morton is my uncle he lives at tinsley

Hello, are you in contact with your uncle, if you are could you ask him if he has a copy of the football team photo, if not can he remember what year it was or which paper it was in or failing all that can he remember any of the others in the team that may possibly have a copy of it. Have been in the library twice looking at so many newspapers we came out with a headache. He remembers Keith and Della. If my husband can remember anything else about your family I will be in touch.

hiya born pearse rd darnal 1944 moved to 82 harborough avenue 1946 started standhouse 47 left to hurlfield boys 1955to59 .my mate all this time ron bennett off fretson rd havnt seen him for 40 years or more .started on motor bikes when i was 16 two mates i had then malcolm corker and ron darby .would love to hear from any of my old mates.probably like a lot more like to reminice about the old times usually over a pint my names arthur by the way