The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

Hi everyone,

If you've read way back on this thread you may recognise my name. I thought you would like to know that today I am smoke-free for 2 years thanks to Champix and the support I got on this site.

Its been a strange time and lots of things have changed in my life. As a stress smoker I could ignore things that annoyed or irritated me by going outside for a cigarette. Not smoking made me stay and face things and make some big changes in my life (for the better).

I sometimes fancy a cig but the feeling doesn't last long.

Well done to you all for making the decision to quit and good luck in staying smoke-free. Just remember that you can do it and remind yourself of all the benefits. I still put the money away and have saved £3,500 which would have gone up in smoke!!

Great to see you are still going strong Berlin. :D

OMG What a week! I have to admit, I want a smoke right now :( I have too much going on and I'm getting frustrated. Plus Ive had no power for two days, that didn't help me at all, living by candle light is not fun. I guess I'm doing ok considering I didn't smoke and gave two out of my 4 packs of smokes away. I'm still hanging on to the last two, I don't know why but I am.

Bromley thats great advice for Wheeze, one day at a time is all we can do. It does drive me crazy that I'm so weak to be addicted so badly to something but one day soon we will all be free. :)

Fish I tried to PM you but I got an error that your PM's were shut off and you don't accept private messages. Can you check that and Ill send it?

Hi guys, This is the start of smoke free day 8 and the end of the tebs. I have to go to the doctors this afternoon and hope that she signs me off with some more... or I will be back on the smokes.

Tas... what's with the no power, geez that has to be stressy.... I got rid of my old facebook account, check your inbox for the new name on facebook. One day at a time for all of us, no matter where we are on Champix. To be honest, I am not sure what to feel at the moment.. wich is strange. I suppose I feel kinda sad but not sure why.

C

Welcome csense, it is the power of your mind that is the key to success. I am finding that getting near a month of no smokes, I am thinking of them less, (I still get the odd craving,but nothing bad) even at work I can go through a stressfull situation and not think, oh I need a fag. I was in the pub last night, and at the lock in with smokers around me, it was a horrible smell, and did not fancy one. Remember CRAVINGS PAST QUICKLY, THE BENEFITS LAST A LIFE TIME.

Hi all, back from my holiday so thought I'd check in and see how everyone is doing. So good to see and read the posts from others, they help keep me focussed and I wish you all well with your efforts.

I am a little over 5 months smoke free now, thanks to taking Champix for the first 3 months, and feeling really good about myself not smoking, although I have piled on the weight a bit. Have decided to cut myself some slack on that and deal with it at a later date.

This holiday was a first for me, for many years without cigarettes being part of the deal. I noticed so many benefits. At the airport I wasn't diving in and out to have a fag before the flight, also didn't have to lug around the duty free. I also enjoyed the chat and coffee after meals rather than leaving everyone at the table so I could go outside for a smoke. In short it was good to be free of the control, my addiction to cigs had over what I did.

The craving has left me now.....I do get the odd thought or desire, almost like I am missing an old friend normally when I am stressed or bored. I am aware that the only thing that will start me smoking again is between my ears my "stinking thinking" so when these thoughts pop into my head I deal with them immediately, and don't dwell on them as then the self pity can take control. Poor me, need a cig mmmmm. Need a cig like I need a hole in the head (grin).

Writing a quick gratitude list of all the good things about not smoking helps me and also thinking through the negative stuff about why I quit in the first place, reinforces my decision.

Today I am a happy non smoker and "Just For Today" I plan to stay that way.

Lynda

"FEAR" - False evidence appearing real.

Tim - Free and Healing for One Month, Eight Days, 16 Hours and 44 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 2 Days and 16 Hours, by avoiding the use of 774 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me £193.79.

Guys and girls I can honestly say fags were everything to me,then a close chum of mine decided to try the patches and this gave me the boost to go and see my doctors for champix.

I don't smoke anymore my mate does.

Trying to tell people how good these pills are at suppressing the desire to smoke is a hard as they just don't understand what we have been through.

A few times I have forgotten to take both pills (1mg) and have no ill effects from - urges.

I do have a glancing think about fags still but it is early days, the main thing is I do not want one.

Just hang in there people together we can do it.

My wife had a chocolate party on the weekend and somebody left a pack of smokes in the house.

Instead of having a sly puff I slung them in the bin!:gag::)

I felt really proud about that.

My chest pains have totally gone, I don't gasp for breath, my fittness levels are better and I smell nicer.

Just a little problem with sleep and this seems to be getting better each day.:)

Hi everyone,

If you've read way back on this thread you may recognise my name. I thought you would like to know that today I am smoke-free for 2 years thanks to Champix and the support I got on this site.

Its been a strange time and lots of things have changed in my life. As a stress smoker I could ignore things that annoyed or irritated me by going outside for a cigarette. Not smoking made me stay and face things and make some big changes in my life (for the better).

Well done to you all for making the decision to quit and good luck in staying smoke-free. Just remember that you can do it and remind yourself of all the benefits. I still put the money away and have saved £3,500 which would have gone up in smoke!!

Thanks Borolass - I'm always behind you though. You're doing brilliantly!

Hi everyone,

Hi Borolass,

When I packed in the cigs, I started reading this forum from the start. It was people like you that got me through the tough 1st couple weeks. So, Thanks!

I'm now 70 days smoke free and off Champix for 4 weeks (I think).

Hi All.

I'm now on Champix day 7. Not smoked a single fag today and hopefully wont ever again. My "official" quit date is actually tomorrow but when i woke this morning i decided to save prolonging the agony and just do it today. Its not been that bad, im getting pretty strong cravings every hour-ish so i just do something else to take my mind off it. I'm finding the hardest part is not the actual nicotine craving (which the Champix is taking care of nicely) but its being in situations where i would normally smoke, ie after a meal, in the car etc... Hopefully this will fade with time.

On a positive note, having only smoked about 7 or 8 fags all week i'm really starting to feel the benefits. I feel fitter, my sense of smell has returned, i have LOADS more energy, i can wake up easier in the mornings and my libido has gone through the roof :D (shame the wife has flu!).

I'm considering having my ceremonial "Final Fag" tonight but i may not bother, it will probably just set me back.

Thanks to all on here for the support, its been a great help to read others experiences.

Hi All,

Day 6 smoke free and day 18 on Champix for me.

Had a strange day, busy as usual on my day off but I do feel very strange and very restless today. I really don't want to put that evil stick in my mouth ever again but I am missing what was a normal routine with cigs for 20yrs, I suppose it is going to feel strange for some time not having them around until I carry on and start a new routine without them in it!

I did read some of the Alan Carr book last night and it does help you understand those thoughts going on in your mind, I will try and read some every day.

Well done Wheeze keep going I had the Final Fag last Friday night I thought it would be a sad moment but it was a big let down as it tasted awful and I put it out half way and thought that is it! If you do bother with your final fag maybe you will feel the same.

I seem to be having some very bizarre dreams at night, maybe something to do with the Champix as I think I have read some of you on here have had them. I am also full of a cold and I have to say even after 6 days without the cigs the cold does not seem half as bad as what it would when I smoked.

Keep going all. One day at a time. Hope Mrs T is coping well now she is coming off her Champix.

Ooh err!

It's gone a bit quiet in here - everyone OK???????