The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

Well I decided to go for it & have now not smoked for 5 days. Being honest I have found it a little unsettling how little it has effected me!! I expected to have chewed my nails to the quick & all of my family to be hiding from me because of my temper...but nothing. I too have thought about cigarettes but not particularly 'craved' them....the thoughts sneak in there but are gone very quickly. All I can say is I hope it lasts but every day is a milestone in that it's a step in the right direction. x

;):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::clap:Hi I have been taking Champix since July 18 and this week decided to stop taking it althogether as I was fed up with upset stomach even taking only .25mg per day my stomach was upset. Just a bit of advice from my sister in law "You can never have another cigarette EVER get used to it, get over it and know that there is no such thing as ONE cigarette" That is the problem once you put the damn thing in your mouth you are already planning how to get the next one.

The very good thing about Champix is that unlike other aids to giving up they do not have any nicotine in them so after 2 months of no nicotine the cravings for it are far less. Mind you I quit Champix four days ago and I can still feel it in my system, my stomach is still not right and I can't taste food that well either but it has been worth it, it has been the most successful attempt so far and I have tried everything, hypnotherapy, patches, chewing gum, snuff, fake cigarettes this is my 6th attempt and it feels like my last chance. Mind you I am 60 and have smoked for 45 years and have other health problems which I won't bore you with. What we all need to keep off the fags is to be busy which is not so easy when there aren't many jobs about. If anyone has any ideas on how to keep busy I am all ears and I wish everyone the best of luck with giving up, it is hard, very hard and only another smoker will understand what you are going through.

Well done CoCo and Baddog I'm so glad you have quit. It is so annoying that you still think about smoking and I can't say when it ends as I quit 7 months ago and still think about them every day, sometimes its just a passing thought other times it is a real struggle to get over and I have given in to the cravings and smoked a few times but I do find that the longer you can ignore it the easier it gets I think they say that it is your subconcious mind that is thinking about them, not your conscious mind if that makes sense to anyone! Its likely that the thought comes when you are in a place or situation where you used to smoke and its your first time there as a non smoker, they say that if you ignore it your subconcious won't bring it up next time!

Hi, I quit smoking a while ago and went cold turkey. It's the only way to do it and stay off cigarettes...

Hi, I quit smoking a while ago and went cold turkey. It's the only way to do it and stay off cigarettes...

I think thats my next course of action. I tried that about 20 years ago and failed miserabally but now, after knowing that I can go for months without a cig I reckon it might be worth giving cold turkey a shot. The people who manage to quit in this way seem to stay off forever.

Hi everyone. I packed in smoking with the help of Champix on 29th June this year. Have done really well, no really bad cravings. I am just easing off the Champix now. For the last two weeks I have been taking just one tablet a day, and this week I have gone onto one every other day, with a finish date of next Friday.

I think Champix is great - I am in my 60's and been smoking for 40 odd years, and never given up successfully until now. Never going back to it, even though I loved it!

Haven't had to use my asthma inhaler since about two weeks after I stopped - was using it every day while still smoking!

My problem is - hope this isn't too rude for the forum - the past few weeks I have had the most awful flatulence! Anybody else had this? Is it related to giving up smoking or the Champix, or is it something else entirely?

Any advice gratefully received, and good luck to all of us!

It is the Champix.

Confusingly, the contra indications (in French) include constipation, flatulence and diarrhea.

Peter

Hi everyone,just to let you know i'm booked in with the cessation nurse on Mon 5th Oct.Will be picking up my Champix then:D.I found out about Champix through a lady who works in George at Asda.Forgotten how we started talking about smoking but she was soooo enthusiastic about it i asked the Dr. for it.He said o.k. so long as i see the nurse so she could keep an eye on me.When i got back home i came on SF and suddenly noticed the thread.Started to read and think its fantastic how Jabbers started this topic so long ago and its still going(lucky for me)Am only up to page 41 but am determined to read it up to date:).Have posted now to let you all know will be on next week after finishing reading and starting Champix lol.Catch you all then then.Sue x

Well, I think it is a little out of place in a Champix thread to say that cold turkey is the only way to go. There are a lot of people on here that have quit using Champix and I don't think that you should be taking away from their acheivements. That being said, congratulations on your acheivement.

Well' date=' I think it is a little out of place in a Champix thread to say that cold turkey is the only way to go. There are a lot of people on here that have quit using Champix and I don't think that you should be taking away from their acheivements. That being said, congratulations on your acheivement.[/quote']

Champix didn't work for me - but the motivation to continue (and the price !) saw me through the cold turkey that followed.

Peter

Nice to see a few new faces this week.

Welcome and Good luck to you all.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nice to see a few new faces this week.

Welcome and Good luck to you all.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm actually a (very) old face !

Peter