The Best Short Story You Ever Read?

Well? what is it? Do you like short tales?

I used to love them, particularly science fiction ones, I remember one by Clarke which featured a Star Mangled Spanner, but the one that stuck with me was ...

I was only about twelve and I read a story about a kid who was extremely physically and mentally disabled. He had no friends and spent his time playing in the garden, digging in the flowerbeds as best he could, he cuold barely move and it took him ages to move the soil and to think clearly.

One day he was digging and feeling lonely, when he dug up an amulet. A gini appeared from it and gave him one wish.

His wish? `I wish everyone in the world was just like me`!

End of story.

I cant remember the author or the name of the story, but it was the most striking little tale Ive ever read, only about three pages long, but its stuck with me to this day.

So, I showed you mine, now its your turn to show me yours...

• 2 weeks later...

'Cathedral' by Raymond Carver is one of the best. Most of his are brilliant. And JD Salinger's short stories - all collected in 'For Esme..' - which you normally have to order from the internet - but it's well worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread Jabbers. :thumbsup:

I recall a story I read in secondary school. I do not to this day know the book name or the author though.

The story was about a man who (I think I remember correctly?) used a computer to collect all the different names for God. He succeeded.....and all the lights went out!

Someone has suggested it is an Isaac Azimov story - but I've never read his books.

I read one by Clarke---at least I THINK it was by him, about a couple of scientists discussing the death of the sun and making plans to go to another system to colonise that.

One of the scientists likened the universe to a forest in a rain storm with each sun being like a tree. In a storm all trees get soaked at once.

As he spoke the sun started to die--as did every other star in the universe at the same time.

I both love and loathe short stories, I love the story but want more. Always want more.

Hi Red.

The story was called "The nine billion names of God" by Arthur C. Clarke. -as the two computer programmers make their way from the monastry as the program comes to an end all the stars start to go out.

I pinched the same idea for my 'Millenium bug' story.

:wow: That's the very story! The setting was indeed a monastry (I think it was in Tibet - or possibly Nepal, or somewhere like that?).

Many thanks Mantaspook. :thumbsup:

Now that you've solved that enduring mystery for me, how do I solve that other mysery of life that still eludes me? Yep, I do indeed mean mastering the technique of uploading! :roll::hihi: