Sign in to follow this  

British Hostage Still Alive (edit: Reported dead)

Maybe I'm getting messages from the other side, but two posts from the top of this very page is a very detailed post from someone called Chill (sig - Chris Hill). Am I the only one who can see this, is my PC psychic, or do you need to visit Specsavers?

The post is back, and has appeared. :clap: I swear blind it wasn't their earlier as I searched both pages for it.

I'm pleased about that. I was beginning to think something weird was happening with my PC. :confused:

Guest Pauly
Originally posted by Mattski

This is going to sound incredibly heartless, and some of my friends, whilst sharing the opinion, have advised me to keep it to myself but why all the outrage about Ken Bigley?

He will have gone to Iraq with his eyes wide open, all the companies shipping out labour to the country are obliged to fully brief their recruits. As I see it, Ken Bigley will have spotted an opportunity for a quick buck just the same as the CEOs of the likes of Halliburton, and as such I can't have too much sympathy.

Now, if it was a British journalist or aid worker my feelings would be completely different.

M

I'm sure your feelings would be quite different if it happened to be a member of your own family, aid worker or not. Which fence would you be sitting on then I wonder? :rolleyes:

This is going to sound incredibly heartless, and some of my friends, whilst sharing the opinion, have advised me to keep it to myself but why all the outrage about Ken Bigley?

He will have gone to Iraq with his eyes wide open, all the companies shipping out labour to the country are obliged to fully brief their recruits. As I see it, Ken Bigley will have spotted an opportunity for a quick buck just the same as the CEOs of the likes of Halliburton, and as such I can't have too much sympathy.

Now, if it was a British journalist or aid worker my feelings would be completely different.

M

Why not go for the full-blown, no sympathy angle. Let's face it, why would anyone have sympathy for an innocent, almost old-age pensioner, who suffered agonising mental torture (at the very least) for three weeks and then had his head hacked off? Can't really understand why your friends wanted you to keep this to yourself. Where do you stand on Fox Hunting?

Let's not be quite so niave. If you care to read my post again you may notice that I explicitly name both aid workers and journalists as those whom I believe are deserving of sympathy if they are unfortunate enough to be kidnapped.

There isn't a limited amount of sympathy one can give. What's happened to Ken Bigley is horrible. I can say that without saying that what happened to Terry Lloyd (ITN reported killed by American fire) was less horrible. I can say it without saying that what happened to Ali Abbas (the boy who lost his arms and his entire family when his house was bombed) was less horrible. Lots of horrible things happen and I have sympathy for all the victims of this horrible war, British, American, Italian, Iraqi and any other nationality. The fact that people are expressing shock about Ken Bigley doesn't mean they are less shocked about other victims.

Originally posted by Killian

Excellent idea. Lets forcibly evict everyone who has gone to Iraq to work, especially those who actually want to help rebuild the place. or why not patronise them and then tell their relatives when they are taken hostage and beheaded that they deserved it for being mercenary greedy b**tards.,

WTF? Where did I say Bigley should be forcably evicted? Where did I say he deserved it for being greedy? Seriously, tell me.

Originally posted by chill

WTF? Where did I say Bigley should be forcably evicted? Where did I say he deserved it for being greedy? Seriously, tell me.

Originally posted by Skatiechik

The post is back, and has appeared. :clap: I swear blind it wasn't their earlier as I searched both pages for it.

I wouldn't worry about it. Your post doesn't even exist in the real sense of the word. Like Brigadoon, it only materialises once every hundred years and if you don't catch it quick it's gone.

There really is no response to that drivel, so I guess I'll just drop it.

Originally posted by chill

There really is no response to that drivel, so I guess I'll just drop it.

It made perfect sense to me, but then I read through the entire thread.

Anyway, if you want an answer on this, you posted on a very emotive issue, which came across to be particularly off-hand and uncaring. I simply read between the lines and answered in the way I saw it. It may not be what you intended, and I respect that, but that's how it came across to me, personally, so perhaps you might have worded it differently.