Pubs in Sheffield shutting down

you havin a laugh its been up for let for six months

you havin a laugh its been up for let for six months

I thought the sign dissapeared for a month or so then went back up ? i pass it daily and am sure the sign had gone.

As mentioned in another thread, the Hadfield on Barber Road, Crookesmoor has closed.

This is hard to believe. A cracking pub popular with students and locals, good for sport with decent beer and exceptional food (price-wise, good pub grub).

If the likes of the Hadfield are stuggling then the future for every pub looks bleak.

As mentioned in another thread, the Hadfield on Barber Road, Crookesmoor has closed.This is hard to believe. A cracking pub popular with students and locals, good for sport with decent beer and exceptional food (price-wise, good pub grub).If the likes of the Hadfield are stuggling then the future for every pub looks bleak.

The rent is unbelievably high on this premises from Punch Taverns, higher than I would ever even consider paying for a top bar on West Street. The greed of Pub Companies is responsible for killing many places at the moment. They just can't seem to get their heads round the fact that if they actually made their rents more realistic, especially in relation to the economic climate now being faced, they themselves would actually benefit in the long term. Pub Companies could END pub closures quite easily.....

1) they knock 10% of the price of all tied products (they can afford it, don't even think they cant for one moment)

2) Stop charging absurd and insulting rents based on past turnover which is now no longer valid.

If there is a modern equivalent of the old medieval tyrant Lord of the Manor with poor and struggling tenant farmers on their estates, then this equivalent is the 'Pub Company', and the struggling tenant farmers are the licensees!!!

As mentioned in another thread, the Hadfield on Barber Road, Crookesmoor has closed.

This is hard to believe. A cracking pub popular with students and locals, good for sport with decent beer and exceptional food (price-wise, good pub grub).

If the likes of the Hadfield are stuggling then the future for every pub looks bleak.

It must be bad if Hadfield has closed that was once packed every day of the week.

Very sad indeed used to be a great pub.

I thought the sign dissapeared for a month or so then went back up ? i pass it daily and am sure the sign had gone.

No def been up all the time worked there

Apparantly it was raided and was full of youngsters...landlord lost his licence

And his toupee I believe. He panicked during the raid and it fell off.

It must be bad if Hadfield has closed that was once packed every day of the week.Very sad indeed used to be a great pub.

When it was a lovely little honest down to Earth Tetley boozer of the 'old skool', it was the best Pub in Walkley/Crookes area by far!!! I used to do a Pop Quiz there with music in such days.....sadly missed....they used to have superb Addlestones cider flowing, it was wonderful......and the characters who drank in there made it a real community Pub too......I never quite got the hang of the place after it was extended and refurbed some 12 years ago....I think for me it worked best as a much smaller pub..

When it was a lovely little honest down to Earth Tetley boozer of the 'old skool', it was the best Pub in Walkley/Crookes area by far!!! I used to do a Pop Quiz there with music in such days.....sadly missed....they used to have superb Addlestones cider flowing, it was wonderful......and the characters who drank in there made it a real community Pub too......I never quite got the hang of the place after it was extended and refurbed some 12 years ago....I think for me it worked best as a much smaller pub..

And they had William Younger's and, dig this, Theakston Old Peculiar on tap!

But, it was a bit of a tip despite the excellent ale and I'd guess it could be a bit off-putting.

I feel for the present tenants because they really did work their botties off. I used to go in from work on a Saturday and for a student-type pub it was welcoming, bright and always with a good atmosphere.

I just hope their closing down hasn't anything to do with my business relocating at the end of last year - I didn't go in THAT often!!!:hihi:

Ousetunes

Don't worry, it was nothing to do with your business relocating. Thank you for all you kind comments at this difficult time.

And they had William Younger's and, dig this, Theakston Old Peculiar on tap!

But, it was a bit of a tip despite the excellent ale and I'd guess it could be a bit off-putting.

Oh wow yes the Old Perculiar......yummy......I am inspired.........:)