An internet radio station for Sheffield!

I see no taxpayer's money going in to this venture at the moment - which will probably be a good thing because it means that the money being spent is real - it's likely to be the money of people backing this venture. In fact, I regard the absence of big amunts of OPM (Other people's Money) to be a great advantage in this venture - it focusses the mind.

To be honest, nowadays when I see anything to do with EU or Council or Government funding I tend to walk swiftly to the door. If it turned out that a venture like this somehow 'wasted' 1 million of taxpayer's money, then to be blunt that's hardly my fault.

I agree and I never thought that the proposed station would be built based upon public money, although at some point it may develop to the point where it deserves it and an FM licence. It certainly wouldn't be your fault or my fault if a radio station run by a third party failed despite receiving large sums of public money.

As for honesty, accountability, etc. of leadership - perhaps they're issues from OTHER organisations that will hopefully not be a problem here. Given that the people involved behind the scenes are the people who've built SF - with private money and excellent leadership - I would expect the same approach to work for Internet Radio as well.

I have no more idea than anyone else (except Phan!!) on this thread what's planned here but I do believe that it's got great potential.

It does have potential but as we probably all know there have been numerous attempts to set up radio stations of various types in Sheffield over the last decade and more and certain people have been involved over and over again. This has had some positive effects (such as increasing the pool of people with knowledge of the workings of radio stations) but also some negative effects (such as leading some people to conclude that getting involved in radio stations is a waste of time). Another attempt could be successful but even if it is done in the right way you've still got to deal with the obstacles created by the previous and current attempts of others, the main one being scepticism.

im pretty good with songs and would love to get into internet radio i have loads of spare time with me only working weekends im not scared of the mic and im great with people

Great stuff!

Right now discussions are still at an early stage and we have yet to decide what form the whole thing is going to take, so get stuck in - sheffieldradio@googlemail.com -> mail us and you'll get a login within 24 hours.

Good luck with it all Phan.

As an aside can just point out (for example) http://www.last.fm/group/Sheffield which people may or not find interesting, if only for the simple fact that it would be trivially easy to set up a sheffieldforum group there (with charts and everything).

And it's free.

It's something I've mulled over a few times but never had a tuit before to mention.

cheers

Nomme

I had a very productive meeting with MagicBert (Brett) on Friday up at the Children's, and will possibly be making my Hospital Radio debut next Sunday. Wish me luck.

Btw Brett I've emailed the Hallamshire again but they still haven't responded to even the first mail never mind this one :(

I had a very productive meeting with MagicBert (Brett) on Friday up at the Children's, and will possibly be making my Hospital Radio debut next Sunday. Wish me luck.

Btw Brett I've emailed the Hallamshire again but they still haven't responded to even the first mail never mind this one :(

Yep, was good to meet you, i'll be in touch soon!

Annoying when people don't respond to emails and messages! I do hope they get back to you soon!

Yep, was good to meet you, i'll be in touch soon!

Annoying when people don't respond to emails and messages! I do hope they get back to you soon!

Oh well, no problem if they don't. I can just enjoy doing the radio shows for the kids.

I'm looking forward to coming, oh and thanks for the message you left on my MySpace page, I replied to that and added you to my friend list on there.

ok i would be glad to help, and if ur having a kids section my daughter is interested too (13) she has just done a radio thing at school for the bbc

Brilliant. No-one has mentioned kids stuff yet! send an email to sheffieldradio@googlemail.com and join in the big conversation. If your daughter wants to contribute as well, get her to send an email too and we'll send her a login, and she can post her program ideas too!

Personally I'd love to see a Kids programming 'unit' as part of it.

Great Idea!!

• 2 weeks later...

internet radio is ok but mw sw or fm is the way forward i have heard about 10 rock internet stations all with a very low number of listeners ARFM i think has the most

after all you cant take your computer in the car

Archived