Neck pain after bang on head.

Last night I went to stand on a chair,and cracked my head on a door frame (don't ask) Although I have a bump,it is nothing really. Not long after though my neck started to hurt, and at one point I could barely move for the pain. I can just about tolerate it with ibruprofen & paracetamol. Has anyone else had this sort of thing happen?I just wondered whether it will get better in a few days, or to go to casualty.

sounds like you scrunched your neck as well as the bang on the head, id see if it feels better in the next couple of days, hopefully theres nothing wrong apart from a minor sprain or whatever its called when you scrunch your neck :P

squeaky, I did a similar thing in the pit some years ago, next day the pain was terrible, after having xrays, they told me to rest, I started losing feeling in my arm, 10 months later they found out that I had trapped a nerve, a chiropractor fixed me up.

Thanks for the replies. It is now 4am, and I have had no sleep. I went to casualty, and was told it was whiplash. i wasn't given any stronger painkillers, and now the pain is so bad, it is making me physically sick. Surely this can't be right.

I know you say that it's the severe pain that's making you sick but, if you become nauseous after a bump to the head, you should go back to A&E.

You don't have to say that it's the pain that's causing the nausea to start off with, but just say that you're worried that you may have concussion. Then, when you actually get to see a doctor, tell him/her about the pain and how bad it is, and ask for stronger painkillers.

What pain killers are you taking? You can take Paracetamol and Ibuprofen together, but remember that you can take up to eight normal strength Paracetamol a day (every six hours) but only six normal strength Ibuprofen (every eight hours). My GP recommended to me taking both, and I found the best way would be to take the Ibuprofen between the doses of Paracetamol.

Another thing that might help is a heat pad. You can buy active heat pads, which you throw away when they expire, from most supermarkets. Some pound shops sell them too.

I agree with Ann*, go back, when you injure your neck or your back, your muscles go into spasm which causes the pain, if a nerve has been trapped or squashed, it will swell, also causing pain.

I've just had the same problem with my back, even though I had a disc shaved to stop it pressing on my sciatic nerve 4 years ago, I have to take Panadeine Fort & Valium sometimes to relax the nervous system as I now have permanent damage to a nerve, don't let them fob you off mate, demand a cat scan or MRI.

you any better?

I am a bowen therapist and would be able to help you with trapped nerves/whiplash etc.

message me and i'll see what i can do.

sue

Sorry I haven't posted for a while, I spent a few days almost unable to move for the pain. I had another trip to A&E, as I couldn't bear it any longer. They wouldn't give me a collar, as they said, if I didn't move my neck, it would totally seize up! ' but I can't move it' I wailed.I was sent home with some strong pain killers,where I resided to the sofa, with a make shift brace made from catalouges:hihi:

The pain did eventually ease enough for me to do the exercises,and it has now improved quite alot,apart from the headaches, weakness in my hands,and tiredness, but no bad neck pain,well apart the stiffness and having a need to swallow Wd40:hihi:

I can honestly say, I would eather go through child birth than experience that pain again.

It sounds like you have trapped a nerve aswell my love.

You poor thing. x

Ollie sends you lots of love and cuddles and Bailey and Petie send sloppy kisses.

Thanks Ollie K.The pain is easing alot, so I am not sure about thetrapped nerve. I will have to see how things go.

Ollie,my best mate you will get extra cuddles the next time I see you.

Love to Bailey bumble & Petie puddle,I do hope you are both back to your normal mischievous selves.

Have you tried a chiropractor? I used Dr Andrew Carr who works out of Middlewood (appointments 07813 496 395) and Sharrow Lane (0114 221 4780). I had serious pain and he sorted me out a treat. Why suffer eh?