Separation anxiety in Dogs

sooz22

heres my gorgeous girl

08-04-07_1323.jpg:love:

Aw bless! :love:

I didn't get to see much of her when we came because dad was handling Eddy and I worry when he handles him near another dog so end up watching Eddy most of the time (hence I missed Takara getting stressy :rolleyes: )

I'll have to bring T round again and try to introduce her a bit better this time!

I'm glad she's settling in Sooz :)

I suspect what we achieved in trying to stop King screeching whenever he didn't have your undivided attention was actually allowing him to be his own dog, and enabling him to have more confidence in himself. Basically he was largely 'ignored' for the majority of the time, unless we were specifically playing with him

The techniques described by Adz are in theory similar to those we've used. I know you're dying to show Poppy how much you love her, but a bit of cold turkey will work wonders with her

Allow her to be in the space you are in, you don't have to cage her, but ignore her. Once in a while call her over for a fuss or a play (so it's on your terms) and then go back to ignoring her again. It'll actually be harder on you guys than it will be on her, but it should give her the chance to break the craving for your contact

Try placing a blanket over the sides and back of the cage too - to turn it into more of a den. When you go out, cover the cage completely. Firstly it will make her feel more secure, secondly it will make it dark and encourage her to sleep, and thirdly it will help to deaden the sound if she chooses to spend her time telling the neighbours she's been abandoned ;)

Make sure no bits of blanket are trailing through the bars - as Lotti mentioned, destruction is a possibility for an unhappy dog (it's only very small pups that can be left with a stuffed toy - and preferably under some sort of supervision)

We use a Kong Sooz and it does help a bit when we go out. I think as strix says just takes time 3 weeks on things are better but still ongoing, last night she wouldn't settle but had done so for 3 nights before so we have withdrawn a little bit more for a while to remind her that we do sleep through the night and you don't need us. I also cannot stress enough that you must be consistent and stick to a method and give it a really good go. I couldn't work out why she wouldn't settle yesterday following me about etc. realised i had hoovered and not put her mat back on the floor. Soon as i put it down she got on it and rested, she knows it's her place but it wasn't there. Simple really but my fault!! Stick with it you will get there x