Anyone know why Sheffield Council is wasting money?

Sustainable transport is generally considered to be a form of transport that reduces the demand on fossil fuels, and is therefore sustainable for the individual concerned. A bit of a catch all phrase, and generally taken to infer that cities and transport networks are more capable of sustaining these modes of transport.

Well OK I can kind of see what they're on about, except that walkers don't use the roads to walk on so I think it's a bit silly lumping them in with other road users like buses, cars, taxis, &c.

Supertram is the best thing in Sheffield, it should be extended though.

On to Meadowhead where a big Park & Ride could be built, would cut the traffic problems down in Woodseats

As for calling us idiots i think you should try looking in a mirror,there is the idiot.

Let's leave off the personal abuse eh?

Thank you Tony, you're quite right.

When I started this thread I expected some abuse about the Council and probably someone sticking up for it. I don't think personal abuse is necessary, let's stick to the original subject please.

It's the end of the financial year so lots of money being thrown around - notice all the tarmaccing suddenly going on....

It's the end of the financial year so lots of money being thrown around - notice all the tarmaccing suddenly going on....

Other than Psalter Lane, where???

:confused:

We have seen some action on Dore Road, Abbeydale Road South etc...

And the elections are soon so got to look to be busy...

We have seen some action on Dore Road, Abbeydale Road South etc...

I didn't mean "pat-a-cake" pot-holing, I meant have you seen any real resurfacing starting in the last few weeks?

:suspect:

Wider avenues in cities are far better.

I know it is difficult for Sheffield now because of the lack of vision of its original creators and the hills, but whenever an area is demolished all that is built is a newer version of what was previously there. No thought seems to be given to widening the view/ the streets /avenues. The planners seem to be stuck in the 1960s mindset. The new rail frontage is an exception but when will it be completely finished?

We'd all like wider avenues - however I can't really remember any areas being demolished where new avenues could have been built - not on main commuter routes in to the city from the suburbs anyway. BTW the 60's mindset was to demolish whole communities to make way for new roads - wasn't a road planned through the middle of Heeley for instance?

Yes thanks

As far as pot-holes are concerned, I reckon that the bottom of Carterknowle Rd is the worst example of Council neglect.

Then again, it's in a Conservative voting area so I suppose it will be way down the list of priorities!