The state of sheffield clubbing Pt 2

Its actually looking really healthy. :D

Theres loads of great things going on, lots of music genres being represented, there are venues trying new stuff and re-inventing themselves (uniq i'm looking at you!) and just generally I think the future looks bright.

The only little moan I do have is that it would be nice to see people like fatboy slim and morillo and sasha, tenaglia the genuine top drawer superstar legendary dj's but in general the quality is extremely high. That goes for the crowds as well as the dj's.

Things to look forward to this year would include the re-launch of matrix and keep an eye on void and shhh! because who knows what will happen.

To conclude, its not absolutely perfect but it is pretty damn good.

(who thought i was going to moan?!)

Hmmm, not sure I agree.

Some of the underground nights have interesting things happening.

I haven't been to Uniq yet so I can't comment on what they're doing. Strangely, I don't think any of my mates have been there yet either, but I'm sure I'll get along sooner or later.

I think I might actually vomit if Fatboy Slim or Sasha played in Sheffield. I had a great conversation with someone recently who described Fatboy Slim as 't'watstep'.

I'd love to see Aphex Twin in Sheffield. Sadly I can't afford to book him, and even if I could the chances of him being arsed to play are slim. I doubt whether there's a promoter in this city who could get him to play.

Us Clunge idiots do have some special things lined up though.... you'll see....

Its actually looking really healthy. :D

Theres loads of great things going on, lots of music genres being represented, there are venues trying new stuff and re-inventing themselves (uniq i'm looking at you!) and just generally I think the future looks bright.

The only little moan I do have is that it would be nice to see people like fatboy slim and morillo and sasha, tenaglia the genuine top drawer superstar legendary dj's but in general the quality is extremely high. That goes for the crowds as well as the dj's.

Things to look forward to this year would include the re-launch of matrix and keep an eye on void and shhh! because who knows what will happen.

Thats right discodown :thumbsup: we have gradually turned the venue around with the incredible Urban Gorilla on board and also Tech noir, morning glory, creme de la creme and diasha and lots more in the pipeline too!!! so watch this space!! we are gradually putting UNIQ on the map!!

I had a great conversation with someone recently who described Fatboy Slim as 't'watstep'.

lol! I know he can't mix to save his life, last time I saw him at Glasto he messed up most mixes and that was on The Other Stage - I stopped for about 30 mins before leaving for something better.

lol! I know he can't mix to save his life.

Agreed, saw him at Basics attempting a 'proper' house set (as opposed to a Students greatest hits set) and it was awful, wor lass could have done better.

Agreed Steve that there is somewhat of a recovery going on but slowly does it. Re the legends thing (in which Fatboy would not come close in my book, legends represent and change things, he's just popular) - I'm not sure what benefit seeing big names out would do except attract a bigger, more mainstream crowd, I'm not keen personally. That said we've had Derrick May a few weeks ago and have Sneak tomorrow so that's proper legends in my eyes. We've also had Ralph Lawson at UG lately - played the first ever record at Basics (and will prob play the last) so that's a legend right there for me!

I don't see why having 'big' names would define us any better. That said, everyone needs to experience a Tenaglia 12hr set at least once in their life, it will change you (nudge, nudge Plug!)

The above mentioned Superstar DJs have priced themselves out of the market and at the other end of the equation when people question paying a fiver or £6 to get into a venue then dont expect things to change too quickly...

Unless they drop their fees or people understand that it actually cost pounds and pence to put on an event then...dont hold your breath mate

The above mentioned Superstar DJs have priced themselves out of the market and at the other end of the equation when people question paying a fiver or £6 to get into a venue then dont expect things to change too quickly...

Unless they drop their fees or people understand that it actually cost pounds and pence to put on an event then...dont hold your breath mate

True, and how many times have there been ace acts on for nobody to turn up? No wonder only the massive venues take the risk, the apathy in Sheffield's clubbing scene doesn't make it worthwhile for the smaller guys.

True, and how many times have there been ace acts on for nobody to turn up? No wonder only the massive venues take the risk, the apathy in Sheffield's clubbing scene doesn't make it worthwhile for the smaller guys.

true words spoken there!!:thumbsup:

the apathy in Sheffield's clubbing scene doesn't make it worthwhile for the smaller guys.

5ft 4" and below?

I think I might actually vomit if Fatboy Slim or Sasha played in Sheffield. I had a great conversation with someone recently who described Fatboy Slim as 't'watstep'.

ARF! brilliant.

Dirtbag that I am, I must confess to liking some of fatboy slim's stuff and owning a few of his early records, but over the years I have come to find something extremely shallow and grating about both the man and his music.

He comes from the same school of ripping things off and adding a half-arsed breakbeat (and possibly an irritating looped vocal) as other tw@ts like Moby.

Off topic, sorry. :D

Its a well know fact that he gets terrible stage fright (same as michael stipe from REM) and get through a bottle of vodka even before he gets on stage- could explain a few things.

i have to say ive seen the fatboy several times over the years, last time at glastonbury when he was the radio 1 stage straight after the cuban bros, and he played an absolute blinder.....in fact i dont ever remember a bad set....

i think people read too much in the papers about people and let this pepper their mind.......dont !