'Open Access' academic journals

JoeP

For those of us who love reading these things even when we can't undesrtand a word that's written, take a look at http://www.doaj.org/

If they make it work, it could be a great resource.

There's far too much money in selling electronic subscriptions to universities for such a site to be as extensive as it could be :( .

There's far too much money in selling electronic subscriptions to universities for such a site to be as extensive as it could be :( .

Unfortunately that's true.

I'd like to see a situation where work generated from taxpayer's money enters in to the public domain (but with the publishers and authors retaining copyright) after a couple of years.

Theres a move at the moment to change the model for publishing scientific papers where the paper's authors pay for the publication and the end product is open access :)

Seriously?? I have no idea how that would work. There's no way I could pay to publish my own papers and my institution would undoubtedly find a way of refusing to as it does with everything else :rolleyes:

I hate how we are instructed by uni to read these essential online journals which are apparently free access through the university library but they seem impossible to retrieve, even when you've signed in...? I think the system definitely needs to change somehow.

Archived