The New Sheffield Graffiti Thread

Rook

I’ve been reading this thread with interest and I can see both sides of the coin.

Firstly, can I say I like graf, and I would much rather encounter a person’s artistic expression (regardless if I like it or not….I find some art amazing, some bobbins, some fair to middling) than a whack off Billboard telling me what to buy and where to buy it from and for how much.

Granted this may be legal, but does that mean I find it less offensive than you find something deemed illegal by the powers that be? Legality doesn't mean something is wrong or right, only lawful.

I can see the argument that spraying on people’s property, that being small businesses is wrong. I personally think the “just on the shutters and it will be out of view during working hours” is fine. To me it brightens up the place. But I do get the point.

This has always gone on. What is the solution? A wall? Areas where people can graf? I think so and therefore because there is obviously a demand for it, it lays at the council’s door, much like the need for a skate park before it existed.

But, and I’m asking a question here, is part of the thrill getting your art in a “hard” place, “taking a risk”, using a canvas “you shouldn’t”? I’m not saying I think that’s wrong, its just question.

Those are just a few of my thoughts since reading this thread.

Yours, sitting on the fence, Boyface :-)

Who you calling miss? So you represent an entire culture, I don't purport to represent anyone, I'm just stating the obvious and if I had read these threads with no previous knowledge of graffiti it's pretty obvious that the majority of people are of similar mindset on the subject and the only people who defend it are those who do it, a bit like a burglar might defend his hobby.

Burglar? hobby? Kleptomaniac? what are you on about? im not sure anyone who is in a position where they are robbing houses would turn round and claim they only do it to pass the time. if you'd like a hand down from your high horse......

it's been said a hundred times now, graffiti is a broad term. i understand most people only see one side of the coin (tagging, etc) and form there opinions from that. do you think the graffiti on the empty shops on eccy road was done by a graffiti artist who has been writing years? or do you think the tag "bum" was maybe from someone who wasn't quite as acomplished?

your going to take a look at that and go....ehhh graffiti. bloody vandals. cant stand them, lock them up with the burglars rapists and murderers where they belong. but if you take a look around you'l see it's embedded in todays advertising and marketing, and society, mainly used to push trendy stuff to young people.

addidas have just released a new run of clothes an trainers designed by graff artists. i could go on for ever but im not going to waste my time, graffiti is all over, (not just on the streets) and here to stay. sorry. all that **** tagging does make the place look a mess, but its part of a bigger picture.

I’ve been reading this thread with interest and I can see both sides of the coin.

Firstly, can I say I like graf, and I would much rather encounter a person’s artistic expression (regardless if I like it or not….I find some art amazing, some bobbins, some fair to middling) than a whack off Billboard telling me what to buy and where to buy it from and for how much.

Granted this may be legal, but does that mean I find it less offensive than you find something deemed illegal by the powers that be? Legality doesn't mean something is wrong or right, only lawful.

I can see the argument that spraying on people’s property, that being small businesses is wrong. I personally think the “just on the shutters and it will be out of view during working hours” is fine. To me it brightens up the place. But I do get the point.

This has always gone on. What is the solution? A wall? Areas where people can graf? I think so and therefore because there is obviously a demand for it, it lays at the council’s door, much like the need for a skate park before it existed.

But, and I’m asking a question here, is part of the thrill getting your art in a “hard” place, “taking a risk”, using a canvas “you shouldn’t”? I’m not saying I think that’s wrong, its just question.

Those are just a few of my thoughts since reading this thread.

Yours, sitting on the fence, Boyface :-)

perfectly reasonable and well put opinion.

as for the thrill Q?

Aside from fame (which is usually taken more form the recognition of other writers than the general public), yes the adrenalin rush is one of the main reasons for continued boming.(a few will say its all about getting up and nothing more, but the thrill is addictive and there probably lying to themselves or are just numb to tha danger or just dumb?)

Tagging however for a lot of writers is/was the main reason they got into graff, the thrill of tagging fades somewhat as you get older/ more responsiblities and have more to put more risk by doing it on a wide scale.

In the early days of a writers career the tags are what tend to fuel a lot of the longeveity/creativity in the art, (I met a lot of kids who loved to tag but cos paintin a nice clean peice was hard they eventually fell out the game because the tagging spree no longer gave them a thrill TOY) peices naturally follow on from this, overtime a lot of writers tend to focus on the peices and the tag becomes 2nd in priority.

some writers wont tag at all, some won't peice and some won't even use paint on walls.

............... all my opinion like, some will differ

my own opinon on tags is some are alright some are sh*te

for me its about placement/suitability/style.

for instance I hate when writers tag on stonework that looked good in its own right and if it must be tagged it should be done well, ie the train station fountains, most of the people on here would be aghast if it got bombed, but if it was done with appropriate placement, style and skill, well they'd still whine but I wouldn't

ALL underpasses are fair game in my eyes in fact it should be mandatory if you go in one, whoever you are then you have to write in it.lol

and knowing the difference between right and wrong has nothing to do with the law, this country wasn't founded on right or wrong and it was built on greed and selfishness,

were just keeping the status quo.

...leave it on. Get a graffiti artist to peice the shutter and the shop won't get touched.

It's not on a shutter, it's on the glass and the frames and the wall below. I'll try to remember to get a photo later.

4ny1ne, you know I'm a supporter of it as the art form that you claim it to be, but this sort of stuff is what makes people want to ram vandals (for that is what they are) heads into the wall that they are spraying.

You really need to take a good hard look at yourself and separate out the artistic and vandalistic activities. I'm getting a little irritated by your selfish and single minded outlook. If you really are in the position that you claim then you should be using that wonderful opportunity to direct and channel the desires and talents of youngsters, not to condone tagging and bombing.

If you think that it's merely part of 'the path to greater things' then I genuinely believe that you are deluded and that it is YOU who is years out of date. The rest of us have moved on you know.

Come on man... get a grip!

perfectly reasonable and well put opinion.

as for the thrill Q?

Aside from fame (which is usually taken more form the recognition of other writers than the general public), yes the adrenalin rush is one of the main reasons for continued boming.(a few will say its all about getting up and nothing more, but the thrill is addictive and there probably lying to themselves or are just numb to tha danger or just dumb?)

Tagging however for a lot of writers is/was the main reason they got into graff, the thrill of tagging fades somewhat as you get older/ more responsiblities and have more to put more risk by doing it on a wide scale.

In the early days of a writers career the tags are what tend to fuel a lot of the longeveity/creativity in the art, (I met a lot of kids who loved to tag but cos paintin a nice clean peice was hard they eventually fell out the game because the tagging spree no longer gave them a thrill TOY) peices naturally follow on from this, overtime a lot of writers tend to focus on the peices and the tag becomes 2nd in priority.

some writers wont tag at all, some won't peice and some won't even use paint on walls.

............... all my opinion like, some will differ

my own opinon on tags is some are alright some are sh*te

for me its about placement/suitability/style.

for instance I hate when writers tag on stonework that looked good in its own right and if it must be tagged it should be done well, ie the train station fountains, most of the people on here would be aghast if it got bombed, but if it was done with appropriate placement, style and skill, well they'd still whine but I wouldn't

ALL underpasses are fair game in my eyes in fact it should be mandatory if you go in one, whoever you are then you have to write in it.lol

and knowing the difference between right and wrong has nothing to do with the law, this country wasn't founded on right or wrong and it was built on greed and selfishness,

PERFECT! 100% SPOT ON!

It’s everything to do with right and wrong and the laws of the United Kingdom are based on Christian values predating our own rule of law. They are not built on greed and selfishness but are grounded on one simple fact, protect the innocent. With this in mind and obviously by your disregard for which law you wish to adhere to, you are not innocent and that’s probably why you act the way you do.

If you want to live in a civilised nation you cannot pick and choose which laws you will respect, its all or nothing. You claim it’s the councils fault, but the council is a democratically elected group of people representing the views and values of the electorate.

When graffiti painting is done without the property owner's consent, it can be considered vandalism simple, which is punishable by the law. If the law was ever changed to make graffiti legal, then I for one would respect that as it would be law.

You see that’s the difference between someone like you and me, I respect the laws of this county you do not!

Well dressing up dogs as YODA is aggainst the law animal act 342, i demand you to remove it or are you going to be disrespectful and make a mockery out of that poor dog.

The problem with you is that you obviously are into different things, you dont travel around the world, you dont meet many people and be united. You DONT PAINT GRAFFITI. Im judging you, yes labeling you from your previous remarks. I bid you good day sir!

It’s everything to do with right and wrong and the laws of the United Kingdom are based on Christian values predating our own rule of law.

And he lord did say "thou shalt not make thy mark upon they neighbours property, nor should thou express thyself through the medium of spraypaint unless thou has permission from thy council and thou does something nice and colourfull that ads to thy comunity in a possitive way"

Archived