Pirate Radio Stations:270,Caroline and Luxembourg

I think I've read on another thread that Stuart Henry was on London.

Radio Luxembourg is still going strong and you can listen live via the Internet - see http://www.radioluxembourg.co.uk/cms/index.php

In the 1950s it wasn't a "pirate" station as it was quite legal; it was just in another country where the UK authorities had no jurisdiction. Quiz shows such as "Double Your Money" and "Take Your Pick" started on Radio Luxembourg and I well remember the whole family gathering round the elderly Pye radio in its walnut cabinet.

Horace Batchelor's "infra draw method" was of course as effective as any other "method" for winning the pools. He employed a small army of clerks filling in coupons with random selections on behalf of a vast number of clients. Anyone who won was expected (though not legally obliged) to give Horace a share in the winnings, and enough did this to make Horace a wealthy old con-artist. He could never have got away with advertising his "method" in the UK, but fortunately for him Radio Luxembourg accepted his advertising money. Born in 1898 the son of a Bristol telegraphist Herbert Batchelor and his wife Blanch, Horace died in January 1977.

Anyone who would like to hear Horace's marketing patter, and the announcer spelling out K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M can do via a link on this web page: http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/tv/memories/snippets/snippets16.htm

I remember listening to radio caroline with my girlfriend when we were courting in my car we were very passionate, I asked her one night, if I could pop it in for a minute and she said "do you think Im a microwave"?

was the first record to be played on Caroline [The Rolling Stones not fade away ] by d j Simon Dee or was Chris Moore at th helm Any one confirm ????

Yes I agree but how many people from the 60's can spell Kainsham

Regards

Hmmmm. Didn't the line go "Keynsham - that's K-E-Y-N (pause)-S-H-AM - Keynsham, Bristol"? in which case was Sandie being ironic or just not "from the sixties"?

"Battle Of The Bands"! Rolling Stones v The Beatles. Can't remember who won.

Hmmmm. Didn't the line go "Keynsham - that's K-E-Y-N (pause)-S-H-AM - Keynsham, Bristol"? in which case was Sandie being ironic or just not "from the sixties"?

Trust I was from the 60's listning to 208, radio 270, radio London (Big L) and Caroline,

If your input is for spelling, then so be it.

I used to be member of Free Radio Association in sixties and I've still got my membership card and other stuff. I remember Tony Blackburn being the first to grovel for job on Radio 1:D

If your input is for spelling, then so be it.

Not at all: I was simply recalling the delivery of the famous line and my reference to irony was because everyone could probably spell Keynsham as a result of it. I just assumed that's what had prompted your comment and I was teasing you in a completely friendly way.

The Captain of radio Caroline was a Dutchman and I believe the ship came to grief in a storm. He got a job as manager of a boat building firm in Brightlingsea Essex. I got to know him because I built a catamaran in one of the hangers. He committed suicide by riding his motorbike into a telephone box, he was doing 55 MPH.

Radio Luxembourg first of all used to fade in and out was most infuriating, it was fine when Horace was on! Then came the best Caroline - Johnnie Walker in all his glory fabulous radio voice still to this day and who could forget Emporer Roscoe - great music. Enjoyed the film based on it.

one names comes to mind SCR i bet no one remembers that one

druid & droid

i can i was about 12 when it was on still got a tape i recorded and still listen to it. 26 now lol