Bramley Hall - Anyone got any ghost stories?

nez75

I live near Bramley Hall in Handsworth and I was just wandering if anyone had any good ghost stories about the place? I know it used to be owned by monks I think and one of them is supposedly the ghost. Its a chiropodists now and he says he was laid in bed one night and he heard someone coming upstairs wearing what sounded like wellies or something but when he went to look no one was there.

When I was a kid people used to say that the father of the family who used to live there killed his wife. I doubt thats true though.

• 3 years later...

Well, we have records dating back to the 1100's, but weather there was a 'structure' of anysort there is hard to tell. The records say that in the 1200's, a man named Richard de Bramley (or some slight variation of that name) who owned the land built a house - hence the name Bramley Hall and surrounding area. There is a long list of names of people who owned and lived in the house and if anyone is interested if you request i will post them later. There also monks who lived here throughot the years and that is why we have a large stain glass window in the stairwell saying 'deo non fortuna' which from Latin translates to God not fortune. Aparently in the 1900's two brothers inherited/bought the house and extended it laving one side (whcih we live in) and another half of the house for there buisness -which was a butchers. There are meat hooks in the roof where the brothers used hang animals. In the living room there is a large and to be fair the 'other side' of the house feels somewhat eery. We have seen al sorts of things in there including orbs, black shadows and a 'gray lady'. Bangs and knocks are heard also coming from there. Maybe the strangest place of all is the atic where there are engravings in the wall saying 'this attic belings to John Bea...", the rest of which is unreadabe and also other names and phrases. In the cellar/old pantry there are drains where the blood used to run from any game caught in what was the surrounding woodland and a tunnel underground which is blocked up now but once said to run from the hall all the way up to St.Maries Church. I some battle or religous uprising the monks of the hall used to run through the 'secret' tunnel and into the church thus avading capture. Arund the house there is what is known as a 'ha-ha' or ditch which used to block cattle ect from coming near the house. Anyway I will write more if any more info is reuested. Thanks, J.

• 1 year later...

Sorry, no ghosts in Bramley!! I was born there in 1946. The house belonged to my grandfather, Herbert Oliver My parents lived there until I was 2 years old when they moved to Bramley Avenue. I spent most of my childhood at the Hall and remember it when there were no houses in the immediate vicinity . There used to be a red shale tennis court just in front of the house. I adored the place as did my mother before me. We used to spend every Christmas in the old dining room with a huge fire burning in the vast walnut surround fireplace. It was a great place for parties and celebrations. I was married in Sheffield and we had the evening party at Bramley Hall. I look at photos of my childhood and youth there and feel such nostalgia. My grandparents died in 1972 after which I rarely visite BH. I was delighted when Kevin and Laurence bought it a few years ag as he was a distant cousin and I was able to see the old place again. It had changed a lot! The 'mysterious writings 'on the attic walls were written by me and my younger sister ,Barbara-we used to play up in the attic. I can't remember what it was we wrote but the names will testify that we were the culprits. I could write a book about the place and still have the original brochure advertising the houses on the Bramley estate which were built by my grandad and his brother ,Uncle Ernest. In over 25 years I never saw or heard anything 'ghostly'. My email address was made for me by my daughter who knew what happy memories I had of Bramley Hall. Incidentally , the house was bought ,not inherited.

hi guys, we are the currant owners of bramley hall.

miss.logan if you would like to e-mail me we could arrange some thing and you are more than welcome to come and have a look around whenever you please.

it would be nice to have a chat with some one who loves the house as much as us.

kind regards

J

Hello Jay,

Wow what a kind offer!!.I'l certainly take you up on that the next time we're in Sheffield. That isn't very often these days as our son has spent the last 5 years at Sheffield Hallam Uni but has recently returned to the North East.I left Sheffield in 1965 to do teacher training and retired 4 years ago after 35 years as a teacher. I'm still reasonably sane though!

It would be good to keep in touch now and again, perhaps to swap notes on Bramley. I have a big framed photo of it at the top of my stairs.

My email address is anne@bramleyhall.co.uk.

Regards,

Anne

• 10 months later...

My Granny lived in Bramley Hall in 1891 as a cook for the family of Thomas Gamsford. He was the owner of a colliery. My Granny naver told me of any ghosts she'd seen. But that might have been because she had her mind on other things. She met an irishman who lived nearby in Park Lane and in 1893 she married him. He was my grandfather. Does anybody know if Park Lane was what today we call Bramley Lane?

My Granny lived in Bramley Hall in 1891 as a cook for the family of Thomas Gamsford. He was the owner of a colliery. My Granny naver told me of any ghosts she'd seen. But that might have been because she had her mind on other things. She met an irishman who lived nearby in Park Lane and in 1893 she married him. He was my grandfather. Does anybody know if Park Lane was what today we call Bramley Lane?

Just had a look in a Handsworth History book and Park Lane was what we now know as Finchwell Road.