Do you eat game, and if not why not?

Sorry, the 4 and 20 were in fact Rooks and not Blackbirds, the young ones being taken from the branches of the trees before they fledged usually around May the 15th IIRC. I've had Rook in a pie with beef and bacon, it was luvverly.

rooks, crows, same family, whatever - I never said they were blackbirds

do learn to read

Quails are nice as an appetiser. Again, like pigeon, not much meat and a bit fiddly.

Pheasant is a lovely meat but seems to be few and far between - veal seems to be more readily available. I guess the expense puts people off?

Chatsworth Farm Shop has a good selection of game and the butchers there will advise on cooking etc.

I've never had pigeon, I think because when I think of pidgeons I think of the dirty disease ridden ones in town :hihi: and I have a bunny so if I ate rabbit I'd probably come home and have his little eyes looking at me in a 'You ate my brother' way, hahaha. I have had deer fairly often though, and I love it. I've also tried squirrel which was actually really nice, a very delicate flavour.

Pheasant is a lovely meat but seems to be few and far between - veal seems to be more readily available. I guess the expense puts people off?

Pheasant is seasonal, and the season's just finished but we got some last week at £10 for 2 brace, that works out at £2.50 a bird and each one serves 2 so it's really not expensive. We also get packs of 6 pigeon breast fillets for 3 quid and that's plenty for 2. Chatsworth tends to be a pricey option, you're better off looking for a village butcher with a game licence.

i'm fairly surprised at how well eaten people are!

i've not tried some of the stuff you lot have had but i wouldn't flinch at it. ]]dies anyone like mutton? a fine meat but much underrated i find

“I hate a good many things, but I suffer them all the same.”

Stannis Baratheon

Archived