Interesting Climate Change View...

In a letter here - it's not long and well worth reading

Since I obtained my doctorate in climatology from the University of London, Queen Mary College, England my career has spanned two climate cycles. Temperatures declined from 1940 to 1980 and in the early 1970's global cooling became the consensus. This proves that consensus is not a scientific fact. By the 1990's temperatures appeared to have reversed and Global Warming became the consensus.

And to illuminate this an amusing quote from 1976:

"It is a cold fact: the Global Cooling presents humankind with the most important social, political, and adaptive challenge we have had to deal with for ten thousand years. Your stake in the decisions we make concerning it is of ultimate importance; the survival of ourselves, our children, our species," wrote Lowell Ponte in 1976.

Bear this in mind next time you hear a politician banging on that we need to give up freedoms and yet more money to "save the planet"...

a woman at work put across an arguement i find hard to dismiss tbh

she says the earths always gone through climate change, look at the last iceage, and where once was deserts is ice and where once was ice is deserts.......she says it goes through cycles.....by nature and all this greenhouse gas stuff is just to screw more money out of us

I like the adverts to the right of the letter: offering the chance to balance my CO2 emissions and get into 'green energy'.:hihi:

So apart from proving that scientists have enough sense to change their views based on newly-uncovered evidence, what is the point of posting this?

In a letter here - it's not long and well worth reading

Interesting article. Shows the pressure - and perhaps people's need/desire - to conform to prevailing wisdom:

Until you have challenged the prevailing wisdom you have no idea how nasty people can be. Until you have re-examined any issue in an attempt to find out all the information, you cannot know how much misinformation exists in the supposed age of information.

Suprise, surprise Timothy Ball the man who wrote the letter is in the pay of the oil industry and hasn't published a peer reviewed article in over a decade.

If you want to learn the truth about climate change your better off going to people who aren't in the pay of the industry who's profits depend on action not being taken to reduce CO2 emissions.

she says the earths always gone through climate change, look at the last iceage, and where once was deserts is ice and where once was ice is deserts.......she says it goes through cycles.....by nature and all this greenhouse gas stuff is just to screw more money out of us
To be honest, this argument is naive at best. It's much the same as the arguments along the lines of 'well there's lots of different reasons for climate change, look at the fluctuations in the amount of energy reaching us from the Sun...'.

The fact is, all of this is taken into account in climate studies, and factors such as fluctuations in the energy reaching us from the Sun, volcanic activity, the planetary albedo, etc, do not account for the rise in global temperatures that we have seen recently.

a woman at work put across an arguement i find hard to dismiss tbh

Does she really think that the scientists who spend their lives studying the climate aren't aware of such cycles and haven't already factored them into their models?

Who does she think actually discovered the cycles and that there had in fact been Ice Ages in the first place if not scientists of the kind who's intelligence she is insulting?

The vast majority of climatologists, who now agree on the causes of global warming, are not involved in a conspiracy. It is the minority who are in the pay of the oil industry (Exxon alone has a $190 million dollar budget to cast doubt on the scientific concensus) who are the conspirators.

I've had this discussion several times on Sf, and those who contend that they know more about the problem than the people who have spent years studying it, invariably post hearsay arguments and shrink away when asked to produce some real evidence from a scientific source not in the pay of the oil industry.

Does anyone really think that the majority of climate scientists would not take into consideration the long term natural climate cycles? Or that they are all involed in some conspiracy which is going to make their own lives harder?

It's sad that so many people would rather believe anything than face up to uncomfortable facts.

Lets see here... The computers they used in the 1970s for climate climate change modeling had less computing power than my PDA phone. If we are simply going by the stick your head out the window process, we MUST be going through another ice age as it is currently -34C in Chicago and it has been that way for two whole days!

I still think that whether we have a global cooling or warming, the good thing about all the publicity on Climate change is that it highlights ALL the damage that humans do to the planet. If it makes us all aware that we need to tread more carefully on this earth then I'm all for it.

This is how these crafty 'pc' types work; and they're the same on here: "All shall be well", they'll tell you," carry on as you were."

And what will happen when the ice cap melts? All those billions of Eskimos will be coming here cos they know we're a soft touch.:rant:

They'll get priority for the councils igloos and all the giant icecubes!:rant: ..and if you try to hang on to your own giant icecubes you'll be called a racist! I've worked all my life and payed taxes and I haven't got a single giant ice cube!:mad:

And they'll eat all our seals, making out it's their 'culture'!..probably our penguins too!..where will we be then: without seals and penguins?:rant:

They'll all be down town on saturday nights, cruising about on they're polar bears and harassing our half-naked drunken women and better presented homosexuals in their incomprehensible canadian: leering suggestively and talking about tugging their 'ears' and rubbing their 'noses'!:mad:

They should go back where they bloody came from!: bobbing about on the ocean in a big cloud of steam!:rant: