Wednesday Chat #3 - Discuss the Owls here

Well seems Clarke is going in summer if you ask me

Sheffield Wednesday manager, Brian Laws, has agreed to striker, Leon Clarke's request for a loan move in a bid to gain match fitness.

Clarke, who was signed from Wolverhampton Wanderers at the beginning of this year, will join League One side, Oldham Athletic, for one month.

Since signing at Hillsborough, Clarke has been limited to substitute appearances for the first team and Laws felt the deal would be beneficial both for the player and Sheffield Wednesday.

"Leon Clarke has asked to go out on loan because he wants to get four or five games under his belt," Laws said. "Having thought long and hard about it, I felt that if I continue to give him ten or 15 minutes here and there he isn't going to get the sharpness he needs.

"One of the problems is that fitness is one of the things Leon needs to work at and with the way our other strikers are playing I can't guarantee him the match action that he needs to gain that fitness level at the moment.

"Hopefully Leon will come back from his spell at Oldham with a much higher level of fitness so it should benefit Sheffield Wednesday and the player."

Clarke's spell at Boundary Park will see him link-up with former Owls player John Sheridan, who is looking to steer the Latics to promotion from League One.

Francis did well for us in that he managed to sign some top profile names, but he couldn't manage them.

The worst thing that happened in my eyes was the sacking of Big Ron.

Some of Francis's signings weren't what we needed, or properly used.

eg Andy Sinton; Klas (Classless) Ingeson.

Ron produced a miracle to keep us up with two games of that season to go (and what a performance by the team at Goodison to do it), and how was he rewarded?

Shown the door. Absolutely ridiculous, to satisfy Dave Richards' ego.

The projected rumoured partnership with him albeit in Barbados most of the time, on the phone to Nigel Pearson running the show here gaining experience, would have been ideal - IMO.

And who did we get?

Danny Wilson.

Good player, gave one hundred percent; and a very nice man, but not a man who could handle the very temperamental players we had at that time.

I said at the time of his appointment;-

"He's a manager to get a team promoted; not one in the top flight already."

geocol, you sound like my teacher at school, he was an arrogant, self-righteous, big headed, pillock as well.

..... i'll have to have worthington.

Maybe you should stick to soft drinks, if you don't want to upset teacher (only joking!).

To me it didn't matter where Mel played. He'd have been in my team as well.

(Please note, that I WAS NOT trying to poke fun at you.)

I merely used the "opportunity" to open up a couple of angles for further Owls discussion, which is what the thread is entitled.

My comments on the nicknames stand.

Didn't Atkinson manage wednesday before Francis?

I seem to recall that he started the good team that you had,maybe wrong not my field of expertise.

geocol, you sound like my teacher at school, he was an arrogant, self-righteous, big headed, pillock as well.

Actually Geocol is a good poster IMHO .

I know he dont care for me a lot but he does post about football and knows his stuff :thumbsup:

Regards CB

you said it.......anyway why r u in a wednesday thread wen yr a piggy fan???

you said it.......anyway why r u in a wednesday thread wen yr a piggy fan???

got nothing better to do till i go to pub then the game