Do banks do anything over the counter any more?

Halifax online banking is a hoot, plus it's very user friendly.

I recently helped a friend set up internet banking with Yorkshire Bank and there site wasn't anywhere near as easy to use.

Ah ha, the very bank I tried. I don't feel quite as thick then.

I'd suggest Alliance and Leicester for on-line banking, it's quick and easy to set up once you have an account and it is also very useful for a small business as you can deposit cash & cheques etc. at any post office, rather than use a branch.

Ah ha, the very bank I tried. I don't feel quite as thick then.

Halifax good.

Yorkshire Bank badddd.

The funniest bit was when my friend ended up handing the CSO over to me to deal with his registration because he was becoming increasingly frustrated with their (no)helpline.

YB said that given my friend couldn't resolve the internet registration process problem himself, he wasn't computer literate and therefore wouldn't be allowed to bank online with them as per their policy!! My friend is computer literate, he just couldn't manage to navigate through the non-user friendly registration process (I'm a seasoned pro and even I couldn't manage to get entirely through the process without again calling their (no)helpline

YB eventually admitted there were flaws in the online banking registration system. Not half Mrs!

So don't feel thick! :)

Do sperm banks do anything over the counter?

I wish, I can't the amount of money I have had to let slipp through my fingers.

I think Banks are getting more idle and skingy everyday.

I found the worst ones were HSBC & Natwest when it comes to paying your bills over the counter.

Waited 25 minutes in a cue once at HSBC only to be told that i could'nt pay my bill in, cause i did'nt have an account with them....even though the bill was going into one of their accounts :loopy:

So had to go across town to my own bank to pay it in there instead, so that it could get transfered back over to HSBC.

It gets ever dafter. I tried again to change my standing order, this time in a different Abbey National branch. Once again I was told to call the call centre and that they couldn't do it in the branch. I explained again that i didn't want to have anything to do with the call centre and asked if there was anything i could do in the branch itself.

The girl told me that if i filled in a form i could cancel the standing order. Okay, I thought, I'll fill in this form to cancel the current standing order, then I'll fill in another form to start a new one for a different amount.

Having filled in the cancellation form, I then asked for a form to start a new standing order. To my amazement the girl said that they could only cancel standing orders and that, if i wanted to start a new one, i had to (yes, you guessed) ring the call centre. To rub salt into the wound, she also said that the cancellation would take 7-10 days, which means that within that time, another monthly standing order will disappear out of my account.

I'm so fed up with the whole performance that I've decided to close my Abbey National account as soon as i can find one where you can actually do your banking face to face with a human being who knows that they're talking about. If you have any recommendations, please post on this new thread....

Hey, I have the solution.

Ring the call centre.