Royal mail losing post.

The other day, I received 4 other peoples bank statements to my house, all in different names, all of different addresses. Incompetent gets.

Edit: RM's excuse was that my house doesn't have a number on it. Errm, it does, and even if it didn't I shouldn't get post for 4 different houses!!

....there are so many threads slagging off royal mail BUT .... you would be surprised as to how much actually goes missing because of incorrectly addressed items (with no return addresses ) we are NOT psychics etc to know where badly & even unaddressed items are supposed to Get delivered to!!!

also badly packaged items which become damaged

the people that constantly slag royal mail off take a look at what you do firstly

1. ensure full postal address INC postcode

2. package/seal the item safe & securely

3. ensure correct postage is paid (weigh at a post office)

4. put a return address on the item

esp at this time of year you Will be surprised at the amount of mail that goes to the returns letter dept because of incorrect address ... we talking in the tens of thousands ..... if u dont address it right , DONT BLAME ROYAL MAIL !!!!

The advice of wizzardofODD is appreciated. Unfortunately, that does not explain why, over several years, I constantly received mail that should have been delivered to other addresses. I complained and complained to Royal Mail, and then complained some more. I have a fantastic collection of replies from Royal Mail, informing me that wrongly delivered mail is a rare occurance, and enclosing a book of stamps by way of apology. But nothing changed.

I asked Royal Mail to stop sending me books of stamps, and requested that they just deliver letters to the correct addressee. But nothing changed.

Calls to the local Sorting Office elicited further apologies. But nothing changed.

I resorted to writing on the envelopes - in large block letters - that mail had been delivered to an incorrect address, and put the mail in a collection box. More than once the same envelope was then re-delivered to my address a day or so later! :rolleyes:

I then resorted to ringing up the Sorting Office, and demanded that someone come and collect wrongly delivered mail from my address. They did this grudgingly, but..... nothing changed!

Royal Mail then resorted to sending me reply-paid envelopes in which I could return wrongly delivered mail to them, so that they could, they claimed, trace where the problem was arising. But.......you guessed it, nothing changed!

I'm not talking about letters that should have been delivered to my next door neighbours - though that often occurred, or to addresses further up my road (both odd and even numbers) - though that often occurred, but in particular letters to a lady who lives about half a mile away. Different road, different post-code, but same house number as mine.

When I receive mail through my letterbox, and I receive a lot of mail daily, I expect it to be for me. I don't read the address, but simply open the envelope. At various times, I wrote to Royal Mail, to tell them that this particular lady donated £30 per month by standing order to a favourite charity (I had opened a letter of thanks from the charity), was recently widowed (I had opened a letter of condolance), and who she banked with (I had received her cheque book!). I'd have thought Royal Mail would have been embarrassed by these revelations - but guess what.......nothing changed!

Royal Mail told me that they had issued warnings to their delivery staff. Noithing changed. Then they told me that they had issued a warning note pinned to the delivery box for the attention of their staff. Nothing changed. Then they told me that all my mail would be double checked before leaving the Sorting Office. Nothing changed.

Every time I received a wrongly delivered letter, I complained, until one day Royal Mail wrote to say that were putting their most experienced postman on my route - which they felt would finally resolve the problem. The letter was delivered on the first day that their most experienced postman, (with, I was informed, over 20 years experience) was to be put on my route. At last, I thought, my problems with Royal Mail would finally be over! Hooray! My elation was short lived, when I discovered that the next item of mail I opened that very morning was......for someone else! :rant:

However, for several years now, my mail has been double checked, and is delivered in a large Royal Mail envelope with a personalised address label. This system has completely stopped the problem of my receiving other people's mail. It is somewhat ironic therefore that, perhaps due to the surge in Christmas mail deliveries, that Royal Mail skipped the personalised envelope last Monday and.....you guessed it..... I received someone's else mail! Aarrgghh!

Royal Mail lost an item that I'd sent.

They asked me to send in a claim form to claim back the £32 compensation...

Then THEY LOST THE CLAIM FORM.

Now, I have to submit a claim form for the claim form (as it contained the original proof of postage- they wont accept photocopies)!!

this morning my mum was on her way to work and in the middle of the road there was one of the grey royal mail postal sacks with the cable tie on it, my mum picked this up and took it to my grans house and phone royal mail about it. The girl said leave it in the foyer (my gran livesin a block of flats) and we will send someone to collect it.

That was at 8 this morning and noone came, the normal postie did not even notice even though he delivered mail. well this evening i took it to the sorting office and handed it in. the guy looked at me as if i was crazy and said that noone would ever drop mail! he opened it and it was all the mail for the local hospital!!

I can understand losing mail in the sorting office and the odd item but a full sack in the middle of the street is a bit too much.

i thought i would share this with you all so when your eagerly waited home delivery xmas presents dont turn up you know they are in a sack in middle of road somewhere:hihi: :hihi:

post goes astray this time of year. but you willget money back if have prof of prchase.

post goes astray this time of year. but you willget money back if have prof of prchase.

you need proof of posting! they sometimes pay out if you do not have this but it very rare now as they have so many claims going through! however i feel you did not read my post as it was not my mail that was missing it was royal mail dropping a whole sealed back of post in the middle or the road and not collecting this.

I resorted to writing on the envelopes - in large block letters - that mail had been delivered to an incorrect address, and put the mail in a collection box.

I do this too

however i feel you did not read my post as it was not my mail that was missing it was royal mail dropping a whole sealed back of post in the middle or the road and not collecting this.

Yeah but we just like any excuse to moan. RM are one of the biggest bane's of my life :D

None of it surprises me at all. As with Redrobbo's experience, our local postie doesn't even seem to be able to read addresses (and this is on mail which is PRINTED envelopes, and all with correct spelling). At least once per week we get mail delivered for a street about 1 mile away from our house...different postcode. Always the same house that we get the mail of though....very peculiar!

I tired the same tactic of writing a note on the envelope, to assist in the understanding of where the address was (and once even printed a map our from MSN with a star over the correct house). Nontheless we still get post for the address.

I can accept that mistakes happen, and at this time of year there is a gret deal of post in the circuit....but this happens all year round.

Its taken me 3 years of constant complaining just to get them to stop the postie from walking accross my lawn and damaging my flowerbed:rant:

Even though the ombudsman wrote to them several times to find out why they kept on doing it the excuse was always the same, inexpierienced temps.

So inexpierienced in fact that one of them once asked me for directions of the road he was standing on UNDER A FRIGGIN ROAD SIGN:confused:

The final staw was when one of them was just stood on my grass looking through the living room window.

I went through the roof and his excuse was he was sorting mail but when i complained to royal mail i got this arrogant little weazle who actualy said i was making it up.

Now the usual postie is absoulutly fantastic who always has a smile and a nice word and NEVER delivers anything to my house if its not addressed to my house.

A definate contender for postie of the year:partyhat:

I want to know why some of my mail sometimes goes missing but any bills I have never do.

Having said that its not surprising there is a lot of incompetence in the post office. I mean the man at the top is Adam Crozier who is the pillock that gave Sven Borin Ericsson the England job

I once had a card through the door to say that I had a parcel to collect from the sorting office. When I went to collect it it wasn't there anymore.

Someone had obviously seen the postman trying to deliver it and decided that they would go and collect it instead.

The man at the sorting office admitted that he did allow the parcel to be released without the 'customer' producing a card. What a joke!

As with all trades and professions there are people who are great but this is a perfect example of pure incompetence. :loopy:

I once had a card through the door to say that I had a parcel to collect from the sorting office. When I went to collect it it wasn't there anymore.

Someone had obviously seen the postman trying to deliver it and decided that they would go and collect it instead.

The man at the sorting office admitted that he did allow the parcel to be released without the 'customer' producing a card. What a joke!

As with all trades and professions there are people who are great but this is a perfect example of pure incompetence. :loopy:

i went into the local sorting office to pick up a parcel without a card, i said i got id and he said its ok you dont look dodgy!!! thats the problem though most people who do these scams dont look dodgy! lol...

Also i had special delivery coming (new phone) and the postman left it with a neighbour which is not allowed as spcials have to go the the adress its for. at same time i also had another parcel due which never turned up. I contacted the company and they said its been signed for so its not our problem! contacted RM and it was actually returned to the depot and awaiting me to collect. no card through the door or nothing. the postman had noted it as signed for. i got them in the end.

On Wednesday this week I took a parcel to the local post office, had it weighed and stamped. the address label was computer printed (Times 12 pt) and the postage label was fixed just north east of this. On the back was a label saying "from" in different (bold) type and my return address.

Yesterday the postie delivered it ... back to me, so I've wasted £1-70 on postage.

not happy.