The absolutely huge 'moan about cyclists' megathread

Guest Guest

Cyclists in Sheffield  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Cyclists in Sheffield

• Give em a break, give em some room
    • You don't pay road tax, get off the road

why should everyone pay for cyclists to have their own cycle lanes and road markings? Try getting white lines renewed where they're worn out and a possible hazard.It's almost impossible, yet red tarmac and demarcation lines for cyclists are everywhere and spreading like wildfire.

Why should I pay council tax towards fire & rescue, and the police to pull you out of your car when in a crash, or to arrest someone for stealing your car, or pull the speeders, drunk drivers etc etc...

bit of a two way battle this really, the fact of the matter is, you do and you should and there's nothing you can do about it, so stop moaning :thumbsup:

WTF i've never seen a pushbike in the local Esso filling up with Unledded ? I've never seen a pushbike made for off roading driven by one person less then 100 yards to pick up a kid from school ?

The only smoke you'll get from a pushbike is from the riders mouth on a frosty morning :loopy:

Which was his point. :rolleyes:

Why should I pay council tax towards fire & rescue, and the police to pull you out of your car when in a crash, or to arrest someone for stealing your car, or pull the speeders, drunk drivers etc etc...

bit of a two way battle this really, the fact of the matter is, you do and you should and there's nothing you can do about it, so stop moaning :thumbsup:

Not a moan, and yours is not a fair comparison. Everyone who uses the roads pays in some way, either by road tax, or bus or tram fares, so why should one type of transport, i.e. bikes, be exempt, especially when special provision is made for them?

I think they should have insurance, lights and a compulsory Road Test.

There are very good cyclist, but the number I have seen run red lights, turn without signals and be down right dangerous is staggering.

Good point, but why stop at cyclists. Surely pedestrians should also have insurance, lights and a compulsory Road Test? How else will you see them crossing the road at night?

And what about animals? How many squirrels, hedgehogs and badgers do you see squashed in the road because they didn't bother with insurance, lights and a compulsory Road Test?

The Campaign To Make Hedgehogs Pay Road Tax (CTMHPRT) starts here!

I am a cyclist and pay road tax for my car.

Would you rather I was adding to the already hurendous congestion we have in this city by taking the car or reducing it by taking the bike?

Yes it is true that cyclists reduce congestion and that is a good thing. There is no point in trying to tax them it would be a waste of time.

If you want to reduce congestion the answer is simple, ban the sale of new or used vehicles costing less than say £40,000 that way Joe punch clock and the unwashed masses would be unable to buy a car and block our roads up, Taxis well, a new black cab is about forty large so no worries for the cab drivers not to mention the increase in business for them and the busses too. And as for the old argument what about the unemployed & elderly just where do they have to go in a hurry? Not work for sure.

road tax is about repairing the roads

Vehicle exise duty (no such thing as road tax) is a fee you pay to the governmaent for the right to use a vehicle the roads it has nothing to do with paying for roads, repairs or the environment. It is a duty just like on booze, fags or VAT. Of course cyclists should pay just like other road users, so should horse riders, horse and carts and anyone else that uses the roads.

Vehicle exise duty (no such thing as road tax) is a fee you pay to the governmaent for the right to use a vehicle the roads it has nothing to do with paying for roads, repairs or the environment. It is a duty just like on booze, fags or VAT. Of course cyclists should pay just like other road users, so should horse riders, horse and carts and anyone else that uses the roads.

Including hedgehogs?

Yes it is true that cyclists reduce congestion and that is a good thing. There is no point in trying to tax them it would be a waste of time.

If you want to reduce congestion the answer is simple, ban the sale of new or used vehicles costing less than say £40,000 that way Joe punch clock and the unwashed masses would be unable to buy a car and block our roads up, Taxis well, a new black cab is about forty large so no worries for the cab drivers not to mention the increase in business for them and the busses too. And as for the old argument what about the unemployed & elderly just where do they have to go in a hurry? Not work for sure.

Sorry to take this off topic, but, nice 'Thorpedo' avatar :)

Archived