Redgates toy shop - Who remembers it?

I used to go to Redgates every month and get a new toy for being good. I was gutted when it closed down

I remember Redgates very well Its was always a place of amazement when I was little as I looked at all the toys and wished they could be mine ,but it was never to be,but I could dream.

I remember it well. It was a magical place but especially so at Christmas. It was every childs dream; 3 floors packed with toys. I wish we could have something like it again in Sheffield, while my kids are still young enough to appreciate it :)

Redgates was a brilliant shop as was Wilson Gumperts, Hobbies near the Peace Gardens, Gordons in Church Street, Birds on Leopold Street and one on Change Alley which I cant remember the name of. Any ideas?

hiya reading these posts brings back memories to around 1945 when i was 7 and the redgates that i knew was at the bottom of ecclesall rd, the other was wilson gumperts in the squareinbetween the elephant pub and marples pub at the time a shell due to the war damage, i remember mum buying me two toy spitfires areound 2 inches long, and another time a field gun but that was from a shop in norfolk street opposite around the sheffield gentlemans club

would it have been wilson tuphomes.

It was THE best toyshop in the world! Got my first Scalextric set from there, and had the cars fixed there! I remember shelves and shelves of Matchbox & Corgi cars, buses and lorries. Still have most of them too! Then they closed! Zodiac was never the same, not even with the "funky rocket lift" in the middle. Shame.

Redgates. Used to be where Quadrant Stationers was, didn't it? It was an emporium of joy. I remember wandering with my eyes wide, wanting everything and looking at the rows and rows of Corgi and Dinky toys.

Best thing was when it moved to Furnival Gate and just inside the door was a full on user verion of Battling Giants, the robot boxer game. Also there were user examples of Big League and Striker (I got this for Xmas with the diving goalies).

Brilliant!

PCD

I LOVED Redgates, we all did! Does anyone remember them having a hovercraft for sale there once, think it cost £500...big enough for a kid to ride in?

I remember it well, it was around the time that Sheffield use to have a good display of Christmas lights from the bottom of the Moor right up to The Castle Market........look at the poor offering these days - we have a better display in our garden at Christmas than Sheffield City Council !

I remembr Redgates, with the giant teddy bear straddled across the staircase, my Dad used to take me on the tram everytime we went into Sheffield. They had every toy available! :)

yes i remeber redgate when they were in fitzalan square next to dry cleaners used to love looking in the window at all the toys knowing mum andd dad couldnt afford them so had to dream

Moved this into History Forum Jon, yes I remember Redgates and I used to get my Subbuteo teams from there too.....Subbuteo brings back memories, I had many a brawl with my brother over that game when we were kids, he was the clumsy buggar who always broke the players :wink:

BTW - wasn't Redgates originally on the Moor before moving round the corner ?

no it was originally in fitzalan square