Did anyone here go to High Storrs school?

How sad to read these posts about High Storrs, not least the state of the building.

When I attended it was a grammar school and at the time I just assumed that everyone got that kind of education. Much later in life I came to realise how special it was. To-day that kind of intensive tuition would cost tens of thousands of pounds.

So much for the promise of greater social mobility !

Bob.

How sad to read these posts about High Storrs, not least the state of the building.

Bob.

Until the recent revamp, I think very little was spent on the fabric of the building since you left in the 60s. Pupils became sent home because the archaic boiler system failed. When any new buildings were added on, they were built with flat roofs. Water via leaks, was an on-going problem, especially after snow. The beautiful library often had several oil drums in it, catching falling water - it was like a calypso band! Several of the inner glass windows in the roof were out.

When a workforce once arrived to work on a quadrangle roof, the modus operandi of the workforce smacked of 'cowboys' - which was typical council, done on the cheap!

The classrooms had all their windows, several of the winder type, nailed or bolted down as a security measure. Unfortunately, pupils came to have their packed lunches and the stench in the afternoon lessons was not nice - stagnant crisps, probably a tomato smashed against a blackboard, such that the only source of fresh air was to use the bin to wedge open the door!

The beautiful lawn that was adjacent to the V1 form Common Room became transformed into a wildlife area. The welfare of the school playing fields went downhill with a synthetic square replacing the hallowed turf which once stood in the days of Bates, Watt Smith and Pilgrim.

The clock tower on the facade looked wonderful but unfortunately the clock never worked. A depressing scene really.

I don't remember the 'gown' because when TBJ Mardell joined the school in 1966, as headmaster, his opening instruction was : "Off with your gowns, call me Tim!".

The transformation must have been incredible. Certainly up until the time that I left in 61, all teachers wore gowns, all were male, and all had to be addressed as "Sir." The only teachers who could get away without wearing gowns were those teaching science, who wore lab coats instead for safety reasons. Even they would often put on their gowns to stride around the school. By contrast, all pupils were referred to by surnames only. It was so ingrained that we even called one another by surnames. For common names like Smith, the appellation Minor and Major (or was it Senior) were in play.

I may have mentioned this before Chairboy, but I was a contemporary of Watt Smith. When I visited Sheffield last summer, I saw an electrical store on West St. entitled Watt Smith. The same family, I presume?

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/39High-Priest39-rapist-finally-caught.5625924.jp

RogG - Transformation? The above individual is a former pupil of the late 60s that TBJM had to deal with. I guess the word comprehensive said it all.

Oxbridge candidates on one hand against a number who were destined to go behind bars and duly did. Small wonder that several masters you'd know couldn't wait for their retirement day to arrive!

My time at H.S. was 1942 to 47 and I don't know why I'm so depressed to hear of its drowning in the mediocrity of of the comprehensive system. After all it has happened all over the country and my adopted town of Mansfield was duly proud of two worthy grammar schools now long gone.

Perhaps because our masters had such an impact (in more ways than one) and have, during a lifetime, been a continuous source of reference, I feel it most keenly.

Even now, as I examine the syntax and the grammatical correctness of the last sentence I sense the nose Mr Jones looking over my shoulder.

Perhaps also being the current chairman of a Mansfierld Conservation Committee I feel the decline of fine 1930s buildings most regretable.

I have posted on Friends Reunited and just one of the 120 strong 1942 intake has contacted, no surprise really we tend to be falling off our perches about now.

Bob.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/39High-Priest39-rapist-finally-caught.5625924.jp

RogG - Transformation? The above individual is a former pupil of the late 60s that TBJM had to deal with. I guess the word comprehensive said it all.

Oxbridge candidates on one hand against a number who were destined to go behind bars and duly did. Small wonder that several masters you'd know couldn't wait for their retirement day to arrive!

Amazing, Chairboy, and of course, disturbing. There were no pupils quite like that in my era. The most notorious escapade involved a group of students, 5th form I think, hotwiring a double decker bus and taking it on a trip across country. I believe they were caught in the bus waiting for the ferry to take them to the Isle of Man. Of course, they were expelled from school. As students, we all thought this a bit of a laugh but George Mack didn't see the funny side of it. Anyone out there able to add anything to this story or correct any errors in my memory?

In my time there, one rumour was that someone in the Sixth Form had advertised the school in some property pages.

Large Stately Home for sale. 140 bedrooms, complete with rare collection of Old Masters.

Whether this was true or just a common room legend, I don't know.

I was at the open day a couple of years back and thought the old place looked in remarkable condition...

then I realised it wasn't an episode of Time Team.

• 1 year later...