Born in the 40's, 50's, 60's??

We had one with the brass galleon handle, untill the day my Dad made one at work ..It was a unique design with two hooks to hold the slice of bread so it dangled in front of the fire..and when you wanted to toast the other side, all you had to do was twist the handle round 180 degrees and resume toasting.. I thought this was brill', until i saw a program on the the TV about the Ancient Romans and discovered they had invented it about 2 thousand years ago.

And todays' lot would spend hours trying to find out where the switch was:huh:

Does anyone remember Mike Harding, "The Rochdale Cowboy".

I've got his tapes and L.P's (wots LP's grandad?) and could listen to them everyday. He doesn't tell jokes, he just talks about his past. As a child, a youth and a grown up. What he recollects - well, we could have come from the same street. He has one song called "The Old Green Iron Lamp" and when I hear that, I get tears in my eyes. It's about meeting under the gas lamp of an evening and telling stories etc. If you are old enough, you know what I'm talking about. If you are too young, then it doesn't matter. It's too late.

My German partner (we are both the same age, 59 years old) showed me around where she was born and where she played as a kid, and the games they played. You know, the only difference between us is the language. She is having her first visit to England (Sheffield) with me in a few weeks, so I can show her around Treeton, where I was born and grew up, and of course Sheffield.

Good picture there Greybeard I think everyone had a pair of those dogs sat on the mantlepeice they were used to hold the wet socks up there. We had them. also a pair of those candlesticks that needed the brasso too.

Regards Vera.

If you worked down the pits and got caught sat about with nothingto do, you were "Pot-dogging". The saying comes from the dogs on the mantlepiece

We moved on the Cross in 1945 I was 2 yrs old, I can't really remember it being that dirty. I do remember my cousins from Attercliffe staying for a week for fresh air, so I guess our air was better than theirs.

What I do remember is that black coal tar soap Mam used to bath us with, and even wash our hair with it :gag:

Does anyone remember Mike Harding, "The Rochdale Cowboy".

I've got his tapes and L.P's (wots LP's grandad?) and could listen to them everyday. He doesn't tell jokes, he just talks about his past. As a child, a youth and a grown up. What he recollects - well, we could have come from the same street. He has one song called "The Old Green Iron Lamp" and when I hear that, I get tears in my eyes. It's about meeting under the gas lamp of an evening and telling stories etc. If you are old enough, you know what I'm talking about. If you are too young, then it doesn't matter. It's too late.

My German partner (we are both the same age, 59 years old) showed me around where she was born and where she played as a kid, and the games they played. You know, the only difference between us is the language. She is having her first visit to England (Sheffield) with me in a few weeks, so I can show her around Treeton, where I was born and grew up, and of course Sheffield.

Mike Harding host's a program on BBC2 Radio..It's all tradition Folk Music..He dosn't seem to do any Comedy stuff these days (shame co's I liked it) I think he got tired of the Club's in the North of England.

Does anyone remember the "Copper". No, not the village bobby. In the old terraced houses there was this fantastic thing. Don't know really how to describe it. In the corner of the kitchen, there was this cast iron pot (bit like a witches cauldron) that had a coal fire underneath it and its' own chimney. It was used to bath the kids in (usually Sundays). Mondays the washing was done in it, and I can remember Wendesdays we always had 'Hash' out of the copper. It was also the prime source of bath water when the miners came home from work. Multi-purpose was the wrong word for this unique thing. Where would you find anything so useful today, without spending a fortune?

Does anyone remember the "Copper". No, not the village bobby. In the old terraced houses there was this fantastic thing. Don't know really how to describe it. In the corner of the kitchen, there was this cast iron pot (bit like a witches cauldron) that had a coal fire underneath it and its' own chimney. It was used to bath the kids in (usually Sundays). Mondays the washing was done in it, and I can remember Wendesdays we always had 'Hash' out of the copper. It was also the prime source of bath water when the miners came home from work. Multi-purpose was the wrong word for this unique thing. Where would you find anything so useful today, without spending a fortune?

i remember the copper yes we had one too it just about covered anything you would like it to and it was scrubbed out everyday ready to be used again they were the most ugly thing but most useful every home would have one ,such memories