At what age is it not acceptable to live in shared rented accomodation any more!?

it's only in the uk that we have a fascination with buying houses.

In a lot of europe renting is the norm and buying is less common.

As to sharing, I guess most people share until they meet someone they want to live with. If you're still sharing at 50 then your love life must suck.

Theres nothing wrong with. Its not that common because a lot of people by that age live with a wife or girlfriend. If they like living together, why not? It makes sense financially to share, and its fun too.

By that age though I would expect them to be able to keep the house clean and tidy and not smelly - nothing wrong wih sharing as long as they aren't still living like students!

it's only in the uk that we have a fascination with buying houses.

In a lot of europe renting is the norm and buying is less common.

As to sharing, I guess most people share until they meet someone they want to live with. If you're still sharing at 50 then your love life must suck.

Ha ha! True.

Though of course, there are those who decide they never want to get married or have a partner (Dario Gradi of Crewe Alexander being an example, if not a particularly high profile one)

The main reason I ask is that nearly all rental adverts for shared accomodation seem to cut off/exclude anyone aged over 35.

I'm 30 now. I'll stop renting when my wages reach a level when I can actually afford to buy somewhere!!

I dont envy anyone trying to get on the property ladder now.

1996 - 3 bed house on Ratcliffe Road - £44,500

2006 - Same House - £160,000

Absolute joke.

Serious point...

A lot of my mates, some in their late 30s, still live in shared rented houses. Does a time come when this starts look ridiculous?

For example, has anyone ever heard of three 50 year old blokes renting a house together?

I agree, at first glance it seems a little bit 'odd' for people who've reached their late 30s to still be living in shared houses. But if it works for them, then good on 'em.

This may well be a trend in society we're going to see more and more of, as the opportunity of becoming a home-owner becomes less of a reachable goal to many people, even those on above-average earnings. People have got to live somewhere, after all! :D

With so many properties being bought up by 'buy-to-let' investors, I thnik this trend is becoming ever more likely. And I think we'll see more of groups of people clubbing together and buying the house they're all going to live in, rather than renting it.

The housing market in this country has got itself into a ludicrous situation, though, when it's getting so the large majority of people (who are not already home owners), even in well-paying jobs, can't afford their own private accommodation!

StarSparkle

Serious point...

A lot of my mates, some in their late 30s, still live in shared rented houses. Does a time come when this starts look ridiculous?

For example, has anyone ever heard of three 50 year old blokes renting a house together?

If you find it that embarrassing why not move back in with your parents? ;)

I was thinking this recently. I can see myself having to share a house for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately, most peers of my age seem to be moving in or buying with their partners. This is not good for sad singletons like myself. Much less choice of housemate. And, I don't really want to end up only having other sad singletons like me to live with. :(

The sad thing is that even if I aspire to do well in my chosen career, I can't ever imagine being in a position to buy. So realistically, I've got to forget about the idea until my situation changes dramatically.

Basil, your signature just made me spit tea all over my keyboard. :D

Ha ha! True.

Though of course, there are those who decide they never want to get married or have a partner (Dario Gradi of Crewe Alexander being an example, if not a particularly high profile one)

The main reason I ask is that nearly all rental adverts for shared accomodation seem to cut off/exclude anyone aged over 35.

Well, I'm in the process of letting one of my rooms at the moment, and I can't remember what I put on my advert.

But it's not just about filling the rooms, it's about filling them well. You need to find a mix of people that will get along together, and this will usually mean peers. I should add that I'm a live-in landlord, so it's more important for me.

EDIT: Here's my ad I don't mention age :)

Archived