Gordon Tools - Rockingham Street

I went for a job there in 1959 and went up some rickety old stairs,wernt they Dennis dealers as well.I almost forgot about that firm thanks for reminding me.

Yeah blokes would drive Dennis chassis up from Guilford, we would service them and they would then be delivered to coachbuilders to be built as whatever.

Yeah blokes would drive Dennis chassis up from Guilford, we would service them and they would then be delivered to coachbuilders to be built as whatever.
I can't remember were they on Carver St or Rockingham St,I am going to Sheffield tomorrow so I will go and have a butchers.

I can't remember were they on Carver St or Rockingham St,I am going to Sheffield tomorrow so I will go and have a butchers.

They were at 123 Rockingham St at the side of the old firestation its been pulled down now new buildings flats I think are there now, the cutlery case factory was opposite.

They were at 123 Rockingham St next to the old firestation the Cutlery Case factory was opposite

They were at 123 Rockingham St next to the old firestation the Cutlery Case factory was opposite
Thanks you are right had a look yesterday.

Hi,

Its nice to hear so many happy memories and stories about Gordon's Tools. Gordon was my Grandfather who I, unfortunately, never had the chance to meet. I'll ask my father, Tom, to visit this thread - I'm sure it will make him smile.

Joshua

I remember Tommy, Laurence and 'Gibby' very well as we all used to drive out to the Bulls Head at Little Hucklow for a good session before racing back to Sheffield.

Would love to know what happened to all of them

I was involved in another Sheffield tool manufacturing business, and was at School with Laurence. Lost track of him many years ago. I know that his brother Paul died some years ago, but that is all.

my mother worked for Gordons for 20yrs when she had to retire she was dead 18 months after,Gordons were her life shared with all her friends there.My aunt was the receptionist Jessie Lunn was her name and she was there years.

My name is simon thompson son of the former owner peggy thompson formaly peggy wilson daughter of lawrance wilson, sister of gordon and tony wilson, she was the backbone of gordon tools i worked there as a manager, late 70s early 80s before it closed down, my mother decided to sell up as the company couldnt compete with the impoirts from other countries, my cousin is tommy son of gordon and lawrance son of tony. i have many relics from gordon tools, miniture spanners, loads of paper work good to look back on now and then. i have come on here as there is alot of talk about alot of people involed with gordon tools and nothing about the major shareholder which was my mother PEGGY WILSON many thanks

Hello Simon Thompson,

The Gordon Tools range of products were good quality and the demise of this brand name a sad loss with the decline of manufacturing in the UK , of which we were famous worldwide.

Thatcher was taken in by the North Sea oil bonanza and resolved to make London the financial capital of Europe, abolishing import taxes allowing greedy entrepeneurs to abandon UK manufacturing in favour of cheap imports .

We will need our manufacturing again in the future but alas all factory and skills have gone leaving this country at the mercy of foreign investers who are buying up as much of the country as is possible for their own greed.

I hope the electorate will take care in their voting decisions on the next election

Gary Marshman

North Wales

I remember Tommy, Laurence and 'Gibby' very well as we all used to drive out to the Bulls Head at Little Hucklow for a good session before racing back to Sheffield.

Would love to know what happened to all of them

I was involved in another Sheffield tool manufacturing business, and was at School with Laurence. Lost track of him many years ago. I know that his brother Paul died some years ago, but that is all.

hi my name is simon thompson my mother peggy thompson formally wilson, who was joint owner of gordon tools, i have lawrences address and telephone number i9f you are interested

Hi Simon - Yes I would be delighted to receive Lawrence's details. If you do not want to make them public property, I will give you a mobile number where you can send me a text message, - I will be away from the next two weeks, so look forward to hearing when I get back.

I have just spent a very happy hour reading this thread, you made me both cry with laughter and cry at the sadness of the loss of Gordon Tools. This is a story that would make a great film ala 'Full Monty'. I worked for similar companies in York, alas all gone, Vickers Instruments Ltd was one. I have always collected tools and recently bought a small tin, rusty and paint missing, had a few 1/4-in drive sockets. Looked a mess but I have collected it today from a plastic coaters and its come up beautifully. It has all my BA size sockets, a 1/4 wrench and extensions not all Gordon tools but trust me after reading this thread, I'll be looking for them now!

Gordon Tools (and other companies like Vickers Inst) must never be forgotten!

All the very best of wishes to you all

Martin Dawson, Glass Shop and Fitting shop 1975-80 VIL and Glass Shop 1990-92 Bio-Rad, ex-VIL