Gordon Tools - Rockingham Street

I never worked there (I wish I did). I do own many of their tools of which I purcased drectly from them back in the '60's...Fine, fine tools.

A thought...I am looking for the manufacturer of automotive body tubs for Pre and Post WW II MG's. I have found some dealers but never the source. Can anyone be of help to me in this sojourn?

Lawrence Wilson comes to mind as MD, when it went nipples up he formed Banner Tools, with a guy called Fraser MacLean as financial controller.

my mother-in-law worked there in the sixties her name was emma bridges

Just found this site its brought back a lot of good memories, I worked at a garage on Rockingham St between West St and Division St in the early 60s the area has changed a great deal since then. The old Sheffield Cutlery Case works was opposite us as was Wm Marples which backed onto the shops on Division St,Hyde & Sellars car body shop was just over West St and Gordon Tools was at the bottom end of Rockingham St near Broad Lane. I new many of the people who worked in the area at that time as a good few would come to our garage for petrol, as an apprentice it was part of my job to serve them, long before self service pumps. I remember Dixie Wilson I'm pretty sure she drove a red Mini at that time, we should remember tho' this is now a half century ago and attitudes were very different then, people were as happy to share your own lifes experiences as they were to share theirs with you.Over the years a few of these people have now passed on yet they will always live in those very happy memories I have of those lovely days

Mick N

Just found this site its brought back a lot of good memories, I worked at a garage on Rockingham St between West St and Division St in the early 60s the area has changed a great deal since then. The old Sheffield Cutlery Case works was opposite us as was Wm Marples which backed onto the shops on Division St,Hyde & Sellars car body shop was just over West St and Gordon Tools was at the bottom end of Rockingham St near Broad Lane. I new many of the people who worked in the area at that time as a good few would come to our garage for petrol, as an apprentice it was part of my job to serve them, long before self service pumps. I remember Dixie Wilson I'm pretty sure she drove a red Mini at that time, we should remember tho' this is now a half century ago and attitudes were very different then, people were as happy to share your own lifes experiences as they were to share theirs with you.Over the years a few of these people have now passed on yet they will always live in those very happy memories I have of those lovely days

Mick N

Which garage was it that you worked for?

I have just picked up this thread on Gordon Tools, and I endorse all the praise mentioned about the quality of their products.It is a tradegy that this company and so many other good manufacturing companies have disappeared over the years due to foreign cheap inferior quality imports.

Thatcher removed any import tarrifs early 1980's leaving the doors wide open to exploitation by undercut cheap imports.

I was at school in 1956/57 with John Gibson the son of Ron Gibson.

I remember around this time Ron Gibson , then wks. director took me round the factory one Saturday morning , and as a 12 year old , was a new experience.

I did not realise Ron also raced motor bykes in his youth with Gordon Wilson . I remember Ron Gibson lived at Dore and ran a Jaguar 2.4 saloon .

In later years I visited the factory on professional business on the electroplating plant , for finishing the excellent range of tools.

Gary Marshman

Which garage was it that you worked for?

I worked for Groocock and Cooper they were Renault dealers but did general motor repairs as well we used to get a few doctors in from old Royal hospital and people from firms round about Geo. Ibberson Byron Botteril etc

Hi All

I am from NZ and have come across a set of near new Gordon Tools LTD spanner set there is five spanners in the set, they are still in the box.

They are still very shiny i dont think they have been used much at all, the box is a little bit damaged but considering the age very good.

I have taken a interest in this and was wandering what they would be worth to a collector?? Any information would be recieved with interest

Thanks very much

Pete

I worked for Groocock and Cooper they were Renault dealers but did general motor repairs as well we used to get a few doctors in from old Royal hospital and people from firms round about Geo. Ibberson Byron Botteril etc
I went for a job there in 1959 and went up some rickety old stairs,wernt they Dennis dealers as well.I almost forgot about that firm thanks for reminding me.

Hi All

I am from NZ and have come across a set of near new Gordon Tools LTD spanner set there is five spanners in the set, they are still in the box.

They are still very shiny i dont think they have been used much at all, the box is a little bit damaged but considering the age very good.

I have taken a interest in this and was wandering what they would be worth to a collector?? Any information would be recieved with interest

Thanks very much

Pete

In some sets there were seven.

When I was a 15 year old apprentice in '62 I spent a week or two helping my mate to tile some new toilets at Gordons Tools, I remember a bloke coming round and offering us a full socket set cheap, he said it quietly and from the corner of his mouth! :hihi:I would have loved a Gordons socket set, they were the very best, but on my wage at the time they had to remain a dream :(