Gordon Tools - Rockingham Street

My mum worked at Gordon Tools. Must have been upto yhe late 50s. Mums name was Lily Marfleet, she passed away in 1960 when I was 8 yrs old. Anyone remember her?

Hi saturn 23

sorry I cant oblige I dont Have the equipment yet,soon as I have and learned how to use it I will

I am tryng to find a 1/2 inch drive 3/4 gordon socket my dad has had a set for 50 years and he has just damaged it he is devastated because he cant find 1 to replace it.If anyone has a spare i am willing to buy it please contact me at johnblenkiron@talktalk.net.When the set was bought for him as a present he says it was the best money could buy at the time,he must have been right because they have seen a lot of work and he`s still doing car maintenance at 70

My wife worked there in the office,probably in the 70's ? ,Margaret Ruth Gilpin.

Where on Rockingham street was Gordons? Is the building still there or when did it close or get pulled down?

satman2222

Gordon Tools was at the junction of Rockingham st and Broad Lane,they pulled it down and a new building which i think belongs to the university.

Where on Rockingham street was Gordons? Is the building still there or when did it close or get pulled down?

After gordons tools closed it became photgraphic laboratory,worked there for many years,untill it was demolished and turned into apartments.

Was there any truth in the rumour that a man died falling down some steps there?Many employees working late at night reported "strange noises".

Did Anyone Work At Gordon Tools On Rockingham Street,off West Street Around The 60s To 70s.my Dad Worked There His Name Was Roy Wilkinson, And Would Like Any Info. Thanks

I worked with Roy from 1975 until he left/ retired when we moved to SSP at tinsley, I was a toolmaker and Roy was the tool and cutter grinder, what would you like to know?

The people who worked in the toolroom then most had nick names, such as Blue Eyes, Captain, Tony Turner (not his real name) Barny Rubble, Padlock, Smuggy,Jack Shorthouse, and even the manager had a name Och aye (he was Scottish)

ekilopter

I worked with Roy from 1975 until he left/ retired when we moved to SSP at tinsley, I was a toolmaker and Roy was the tool and cutter grinder, what would you like to know?

The people who worked in the toolroom then most had nick names, such as Blue Eyes, Captain, Tony Turner (not his real name) Barny Rubble, Padlock, Smuggy,Jack Shorthouse, and even the manager had a name Och aye (he was Scottish)

ekilopter

Smuggy was my dad i think! Dave Radford? who are you and i will remember you to him!

Andy

Yes your dad was "Smuggy" and 2 of you uncles also worked there, Barry and Chapletown Charlie, Im little John.

Roy also had a nick name Hot Sleeves,

ekilopter

After gordons tools closed it became photgraphic laboratory,worked there for many years,untill it was demolished and turned into apartments.

Was there any truth in the rumour that a man died falling down some steps there?Many employees working late at night reported "strange noises".

There was a short flight of stairs from the canteen to the office block. Ron Gibson, the MD at the time, collapsed with a stroke on these stairs and died shortly afterwards in hospital.

There was a short flight of stairs from the canteen to the office block. Ron Gibson, the MD at the time, collapsed with a stroke on these stairs and died shortly afterwards in hospital.

Thats the very flight of stairs people used to say the strange noises came from,must admit it was a little eerie beyond the canteen,the small office at the top of those stairs was used mainly for storage,and the room at the back was used as a photographic studio for a while,have alot of memories of that building,spent over twenty years working there.