Welcome to the SF Allotment and Gardening Group!

There is now a new site at Oughtibridge and there is one planned at Totley and one at Dore where the waiting lists are very long (timewise).

Does anyone have any information about the planned allotment at Totley? I have emailed the council with no reply as yet.

Does anyone know how much a plot is on the allotments in hind house lane? please.

What about sharing your garden? Some people in sheffield have gardens too large for them to manage on their own. Could SF start a buddy system/

What about sharing your garden? Some people in sheffield have gardens too large for them to manage on their own. Could SF start a buddy system/

Landshare http://landshare.channel4.com/

I have lived in S8 - Norton Lees for 9 years and have had my name down for an A. Plot for 3-4 years. I got offered one last August near Callow Mount (it appeared to me), long walk, near the woods with a young child. I refused it as it was not safe I thought.

I have emailed the SCC regarding my position, age , family and safety aspect. I have had little response. I have joined the Heeley Wiki to get more info.

Basically I am in the dark. I have no idea how long I will need to wait, who to talk to, go to etc. Ideally I would like a patch, however overgrown, off Norton Lees Lane.

I am 40 soon, so I can help if people need some help with their plot. I find i need to be in the fresh air most of the time.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

m

Hello :)

I'm a new comer in Sheffield. I used to grow vegetables and flowers on my tropical home country, Indonesia. I'm happy to find this forum and hope to learn how to grow food here. Thanks.

I'm a new comer in Sheffield. I used to grow vegetables and flowers on my tropical home country, Indonesia. I'm happy to find this forum and hope to learn how to grow food here. Thanks.

hi Eunike - welcome to Sheffield - not quite so sunny as Indonesia ! What will you try and grow here ?

hi Eunike - welcome to Sheffield - not quite so sunny as Indonesia ! What will you try and grow here ?

Thanks for welcoming me :)

Yes, Indonesia is sunny all the year that I could start sowing almost anytime. That's why I need to learn it first here.

I want to grow chili and herbs that I need to cook some recipes (hard to get them fresh at supermarkets and the prices are much higher). Right now I'm trying to grow lemongrass and keeping some hot chili seeds to sow for the right time (that I need to know when it is ^^)

Is there anyone grow tropical herbs in Sheffield? I would love to know her/him. Thanks.

Edited by eunike

I just read your post on "Want an Allotment / just got an Allotment ?".

Somehow it gave me an enlightenment how foods are grown here.. also lots of useful links (included the herb expert). Thanks a million :)

Hello. This year was my first year growing lots of veg. I have been a gardener for almost 30 years but mainly grown greenhouse crops, veg in tubs or fruit previously.

I do have a small area of tropical garden at the back of my house as its south facing. Unfortunately last winter killed a lot of mature tropical plants even though they were well packed with straw and fleece or in the greenhouse.

Hello. This year was my first year growing lots of veg. I have been a gardener for almost 30 years but mainly grown greenhouse crops, veg in tubs or fruit previously.

I do have a small area of tropical garden at the back of my house as its south facing. Unfortunately last winter killed a lot of mature tropical plants even though they were well packed with straw and fleece or in the greenhouse.

I'm sorry the hear the winter effect. Yes, I heard that last winter was anomaly with think snow. Too bad that you lost a lot of tropical plants that I'm sure not easy to find.

as your experience on growing those tropical plants, do you have any recommendation how and when to start? any links to read are very appreciated. and where to get the starter (seeds/plants). Thanks.