The Roughs near HighStorrs, remains.

What is or was G & S, Chairboy?

As PT says, Gilbert and Sullivan (Savoy Operas) Gilbert the librettist and Sullivan the composer. Good stuff but you need a sense of humour!

There was more to Griff than bellowing "F-why-ay (foyer) boy"!

Dors, I'm a contemporary of yours. In the boys part of the school though. Left 61. Although roughs were out of bounds, we used to go there at lunch time for a smoke. Remember how in those days they used to arrange lunch times for the boys and girls sides of the school at different times? Seem to remember there was a bit of an overlap though.

Chairboy, Griffin and George Mack? Griffin was feared by all. Strict disciplinarian, no sense of humor, better not cross him. George Mack: we had to stand up the moment he entered a room. As I recall, he was the only one who used a cane. All the other teachers used gym shoes. I believe they're now called trainers over your way. The result was the same. Six whacks on the bum.

Hi RogG,

Good to hear from you.

Yes there was an overlap on lunchtime. I used to hang out with a crowd of girls and boys at lunchtime. Did you know Terry Nuttall, Mick Bramall and Dave Shawyer? Did you know anyone from the girls school?

Our headmistress' name was Miss Furtado - you can imagine what we did with that name. She seemed like an old dragon but underneath I think she had a heart of gold. Most of teachers were pretty good except for one. She taught Latin.

I can't remember her name but shewas good at throwing blackboard rubbers!

Made sure I didn't take Latin!

Dors.

Chairboy: Of course, Gilbert & Sullivan. Not a style that I appreciated in those days but I went to see a local production of the Mikado a couple of yrs ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Dors: I knew Terry Nuttall, not that well though. He was a year or so behind me. Did you know Valerie Hales? She was my girl friend for a while.

I was interviewed by Ms. Furtado for a job at HSGSG while I was midway through my PhD and getting fed up. I withdrew my interest. Not long after, I got the chance to move to Canada and been here ever since.

My daughter's currently at High Storrs and they are still called the roughs now.

I remember when I was there in the mid 70's we had to do cross country running through them and down to Forge Dam and back I doubt they do that any more. When the teacher wasn' t looking we would hide behind the bushes and have a quick smoke.

I don't rememeber there being any buildings in there at that time.

I too went to High Storrs leaving in 1972 and can remember that there were remains of brick buidings down on the "roughs" . What I have found interesting about this post was seeing the photo of Miss Furtado and staff- it was only this last weekend that I was telling my daughter about her and her deputy Miss Gay (who was a quaker) and looking at the photo brought it all back to me. I can remember when Miss Furtado retired it was still a Girls Grammar and her leaving present was a Jack Russell puppy. Can anyone else remember teachers such as Miss Tingle, "Dotty" Beech, Mrs Butterfield and Miss Weaver?

Dors, I'm a contemporary of yours. In the boys part of the school though. Left 61. Although roughs were out of bounds, we used to go there at lunch time for a smoke. Remember how in those days they used to arrange lunch times for the boys and girls sides of the school at different times? Seem to remember there was a bit of an overlap though.

Chairboy, Griffin and George Mack? Griffin was feared by all. Strict disciplinarian, no sense of humor, better not cross him. George Mack: we had to stand up the moment he entered a room. As I recall, he was the only one who used a cane. All the other teachers used gym shoes. I believe they're now called trainers over your way. The result was the same. Six whacks on the bum.

Yes there was an overlap at luchtimes. We used to meet on the wall outside near the playing fields and then head off down the roughs. Some of the names I remember from the boys school are Dave Shawyer, Terry Nuttall and Mick Bramall.

Dors.

Chairboy: Of course, Gilbert & Sullivan. Not a style that I appreciated in those days but I went to see a local production of the Mikado a couple of yrs ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Dors: I knew Terry Nuttall, not that well though. He was a year or so behind me. Did you know Valerie Hales? She was my girl friend for a while.

I was interviewed by Ms. Furtado for a job at HSGSG while I was midway through my PhD and getting fed up. I withdrew my interest. Not long after, I got the chance to move to Canada and been here ever since.

If Terry was as year or so behind you it makes you a little older than me as I was about a year younger than him and his contempories. Can't say that I really remember Valerie Hale. Trying to think of girls that were older than me I can only come up with Gillian Humphries and Christine Warburton. A couple of girls that were in my year were Deidre Watson, Linda Middleton, Lynn Goodison, Angela Wildegoose.

I'm surprised that Miss. Furtado considered employing a man, the only one that I never knew there was some sort of exchange student from France! I think Miss.Furtado had a soft heart even thought she appeared to be tough.

I lost my father in my first year at High Storrs, my mother had already died a year before. Miss Furtado and all the teachers were very supportive in my time there.

Didn't the 'Wild man of the Woods' Samuel Plimsoll live near there?

PopT

Didn't the 'Wild man of the Woods' Samuel Plimsoll live near there?

PopT

That's right Pop, he lived at Whiteley Wood Hall for a while.

If Terry was as year or so behind you it makes you a little older than me as I was about a year younger than him and his contempories. Can't say that I really remember Valerie Hale. Trying to think of girls that were older than me I can only come up with Gillian Humphries and Christine Warburton. A couple of girls that were in my year were Deidre Watson, Linda Middleton, Lynn Goodison, Angela Wildegoose.

I'm surprised that Miss. Furtado considered employing a man, the only one that I never knew there was some sort of exchange student from France! I think Miss.Furtado had a soft heart even thought she appeared to be tough.

I lost my father in my first year at High Storrs, my mother had already died a year before. Miss Furtado and all the teachers were very supportive in my time there.

I think I must have been in your year. I too remember the names you mention. I left in 1966 after one year in the 6th form. Do you remember Sheila Goodliffe and Glenys Dooley?

The picture of the teachers brought back some memories. I remember Miss Teesdale - taught maths and terrified the life out of me.

I too went to High Storrs leaving in 1972 and can remember that there were remains of brick buidings down on the "roughs" . What I have found interesting about this post was seeing the photo of Miss Furtado and staff- it was only this last weekend that I was telling my daughter about her and her deputy Miss Gay (who was a quaker) and looking at the photo brought it all back to me. I can remember when Miss Furtado retired it was still a Girls Grammar and her leaving present was a Jack Russell puppy. Can anyone else remember teachers such as Miss Tingle, "Dotty" Beech, Mrs Butterfield and Miss Weaver?

Miss Beech was still there when I attended, (I left 1980)