Patio / French Windows?

Soon to be moving to new house and one of the first things we want to do is put in some patio windows / french windows at the back.

Currently, there is only a standard window there so there will be removal of bricks involved.

Anyone had similar done recently and know roughly how much we should expec to pay?

Thanks.

first you have to decide what what doors you require they can range in price from approx £600 to thousands only then can you get a estimate to fit as a general rule if you buy a set of patio doors just double the price and you will have a rough estimate, it doesnt work every time but it will give you some idea when you go looking for suitable doors

Thanks, I should have realised the answer would be along the lines of "how long is a piece of string" given the lack of specifics! :)

Any suggestions on where to go looking for suitable doors in Sheff?

Cheers.

doors galore at attercliffe have one of the largest stocks in sheffield they are helpful and you can see a lot in situte not the cheapest go and see for yourself I HAVE NO CONNECTION WITH THE COMPANY just giving honest advice One thing to remember most of the doors dont come with furniture i.e. locks handles hinges etc. these can add a lot of money to the cost. Another option would be to WHITES on abbeyfield road they have reclaimed ones in sometimes I bought one a couple of years ago for a fraction of the new price

but take someone with you so you dont make any mistakes a builder freind possibly

Thanks, that gives us something to work with. May have a look in those places at the weekend.

Cheers for the advice.

hiya muran i did something similiar for a fellow forummer on here if you would like me to come out and give you a quote give me a ring on 07838180080 thanks richie

Soon to be moving to new house and one of the first things we want to do is put in some patio windows / french windows at the back.

Currently, there is only a standard window there so there will be removal of bricks involved.

Anyone had similar done recently and know roughly how much we should expec to pay?

Thanks.

Recently had fairly large custom made french doors for kitchen from Modglass and then standard 120 french doors in other room. Excellent fast service - good price and fitting. Will dig out number and post it...

Hi,

we're currently wanting the same thing. We are in the process of having all our windows (one by one due to cost) double glazed in wood frames. Our quote from a firm we've previous used for this was £2.5k. Friends of ours recently had a quote from Everest for exactly the same thing for £8.5k!! The cost depends on whether you want double glazed; whether you want timber frames or UPVC as well as variation from different fitters

best of luck

On a slightly related note does anyone know whats involved (or if it`s possible) to replace a bay window with patio doors and still retain the sticky outy bit (due to bay above)?

I suppose it is but I dont think you would like the look of it. the best thing to do would be to remove the bay completely and fit the french doors to aflat wall with none of the bay above I am sure you understand what I mean

On a slightly related note does anyone know whats involved (or if it`s possible) to replace a bay window with patio doors and still retain the sticky outy bit (due to bay above)?

They look quite good if you leave the window ledges on the side bits.

I suspect it's easier to do in wood than uPVC, as upvc needs structural supports for the roof part, but wood supports the structure itself.

Viability depends on the design of your bay. It would be difficult on a victorian bay, as the stone elements interlock/overlap ;)

Friend of mine's just had a kitchen door bricked up (to make a window) and hole made for new french doors...total cost was £1500, including doors...