Home education possibilities

well hi my son will not go back college hes pasted is maths test with flying colours but hes not happy and so back 2 home education well hes 16 in oct hes just dont no wot he wants out of life so and the teacher at college telling him 2 do this and do that hes told them he dont no wot he wants but its falling on deaf ears xx

I took my daughter out of school before the school year started and have been using a structured timetable to teach her. Usually from 9-12 is her study time. She is only (almost) 6 and I'm stuck for ideas on how to make things more fun for her. So far she is loving it but I want her to continue enjoying it. If anyone could give me ideas I would be really grateful!

I took my daughter out of school before the school year started and have been using a structured timetable to teach her. Usually from 9-12 is her study time. She is only (almost) 6 and I'm stuck for ideas on how to make things more fun for her. So far she is loving it but I want her to continue enjoying it. If anyone could give me ideas I would be really grateful!

The brilliant thing about home education is that it doesn't have to look like school. If structured stops working, then you can throw it away and do things a different way. Learning takes place through conversation, exploring, touching, experimenting, listening, out and about etc etc - sitting and writing is only one aspect of learning.

Are you in touch with the local home ed group? There are always activities going on, skating sessions, tennis lessons, language groups, art groups, swimming, dance, social meetings etc etc, so if you plug into those you will find lots to do. You can also join home ed email lists on Yahoo groups, and home ed groups on facebook where people chat about the activities they have been doing and give ideas and links to websites etc. PM me if you want more details.

Many people do themes around the seasons, or around a specific interest of the child, for instance when my son was about 5 he got very interested in dinosaurs, so everything we did was based around that interest - he learnt how many brontosaurus would fit on our road, we measured them out along the pavement, he learned about fossils and bones, we visited museums and quarries looking for fossils, he learned about history and where dinosaurs and humans fitted into it, we made a timeline that went right round the room, we looked at dinosaur footprints and made pictures with his own footprints, we looked at the food they might have eaten and the food we eat now, we looked at the places in the world where they lived, what the climate was like and went on to investigate how climate changed and clouds were formed etc, we looked at volcanoes and did experiments making our own model volcanoes, etc etc. If your daughter has any specific interests you can research how you can bring lots of different things into the range of that interest.

Learning can be so much fun that you feel as though you are cheating! I found it helped to keep a simple diary of the things we did, as I would often think we hadn't done much but when I recalled the conversations, the books we had read, the visits we had done, I realised we had covered a huge range without really noticing :)

Thank you so much for your prompt reply! I have joined the mailing list for SYHEC. I was surprised at how many people actually educate their children at home. It gives me peace of mind that I am not doing anything wrong, no matter what people say.

I have found that my daughter loves drawing which I really want to encourage her with. Other than that, I do want her to get the basic, reading, writing and general maths done on a regular basis.

I seem to be stuck for ideas sometimes but I think nowadays the internet is pretty good for that!

• 4 months later...

Hi Claire

Welcome to the wonderful world of home education :)

Are you in Sheffield? If so the best place to start is to join SYHEC at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SYHEC/ This is a mailing list where events get posted up so you will be able to find out what activities are happening and when. You can also ask for advice and will find there are many people who have loads of experience on there.

There are also lots of national groups on facebook which are great for support too.

I am not sure what sort of tips you are looking for, but I am very happy to answer any specific questions :)

• 3 months later...

Pyjama Drama sunbeams sessions especially for home educators starts Tuesday 4th June

Pyjama Drama is an age differentiated programme which combines drama, movement, music and play and is great at developing confidence, concentration and co-operation, whilst stimulating the imagination. We use original Pyjama Drama songs, which are specially developed to fit around the themes we explore. Pyjama Drama supports the current requirements of the national curriculum. Sunbeams classes are generally for children around five to seven years old

Meersbrook Park Church

Chesterfield Rd

S8 0RP

1.30pm-2.30pm

£12 for a 3 week trial

For more details see http://www.pyjamadrama.com or

contact Gemma on 01142995227 or email gemma@pyjamadrama.com

This sounds great, it is brilliant that providers are setting up classes for home educated children. The only problem I can see is that it has been set up at the same time as the main HE meeting each week, so it will either not attract anyone because they are at the meeting, or it will compete with it and set up bad feelings.

If it could be offered on a different day and time, I should think it would be very popular.

Archived