Home education possibilities

What age is your daughter again? What area are you in?

At the moment, there is a meeting on Tuesday afternoons that is a general play meet, Tennis in the morning on Tuesdays, there is a Spanish class on Wednesdays that is looking for new members, there is swimming every alternate Thursday, skating on some Fridays, trampolining on Tuesday evenings, gardening at Unstone Grange on Wednesdays, a workshop with the rangers at Shirebrook nature reserve 1st Wednesday in each month, there are a couple of toddler playgroups, but you won't be interested in those, ermmmm, I am trying to remember, I am sure there is more, but we don't go to as much nowadays as my daughter is older.

The best idea is to join the SYHEC yahoo email group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SYHEC/ where everything is posted up, you can look on the calendar on the yahoo group home site there (although people can be dozy about updating it). You will get about 10-15 emails a day from the group, but it is where all the events are arranged so it is worth joining.

You are welcome to pm me for more details on any of these, or if you want a phone number to ring for a chat, or any more questions etc :)

Best of luck :)

Janet

hi hennypenny just had a call cant get jack back into school he wants thr full so need 2 appeal so back 2 hd till we can get him sorted he is so board anything i do is not rite and he dont no wot 2 do so were goin round in circles thinkin of gettin a tutor for him as he wont let me help :( hope you are well

Have joined the yahoo group, and confirmation has just come through so will have a look at what's on there. My daughter is 12, she'll be 13 in April, and we are in S7. Looks like there are some wonderful activities going on, I feel very encouraged, thank you.

hi hennypenny just had a call cant get jack back into school he wants thr full so need 2 appeal so back 2 hd till we can get him sorted he is so board anything i do is not rite and he dont no wot 2 do so were goin round in circles thinkin of gettin a tutor for him as he wont let me help :( hope you are well

Hi Wendy

Sorry it hasn't worked out for you so far. I really would recommend leaving him alone to get bored, eventually he will find something he would rather be doing than sitting being bored all the time, when he does find an interest then help him follow it through. Education doesn't have to look like school, it could be that his interest is cooking, or doing up old cars, selling things on ebay, deciphering pictograms or any of a thousand things, but the important bit is that he is able to follow his interest, not anyone elses. It is far easier for him to say he is bored and leave the responsibility with you, then he doesn't have to think for himself, but if you refuse to tell him what to do, and let him realise that he really is responsible for himself, it is his life that is passing by and no one elses, and no one is going to bail him out, eventually he will come to find something out of sheer self defense against the boredom.

I know it is really hard to do, but trust me I have seen it happen dozens of times, when kids are allowed the freedom, first of all they are scared and do anything they can to put the responsibility back onto their parents, often getting quite nasty in the process (thinking for yourself is scary!), but eventually they realise that it really is up to them to sort their lives out and no one else can do it for them, and they usually do get on with it brilliantly.

Is there something he would like to buy? Does he want a new video game that he can't afford? Help him to work out a plan for how he can make money, maybe he can go around car boot sales and buy items which he can sell on ebay to make the money. Maybe he can call at the wholesale market at buy fruit and veg to sell at a boot sale? Could he get a paper round? Help him to see that the future doesn't have to be something that just happens, but that he can shape it to how he wants. If he does go round boot sales, then help him to research old china, glass or wood items so he can learn to get the best items for a profit, if he decides to sell fruit help him make a business plan and work out how many items he can sell to make the best profit, could he enhance the value by putting strawberries and cream together in a paper bowl and selling them for far more than in a punnet? Bounce ideas off each other until you find something that is achievable for him.

Help him to think of ways he can achieve, and praise everything he does achieve no matter how small, get him to feeling that life is positive and that he can do whatever he wants to do. He will get there one day, trust in him to know when he is ready.

I hope something clicks for him soon, or that he gets his school place if that is what he wants. If there is not a place at a school for him, would the LA provide a tutor? I hope things get better soon.

thanks hennypenny i will leave him 2 do is own thing till he is ready again thanks x

Hi,

My girlfriend home educates her 6 year old son in Manchester and is linked into the home-ed community there. We are currently house hunting in Sheffield to move in together and have been told there's quite a vibrant home-ed community in Sheffield that she can access. Can someone please pass me any information?

Thanks.

Hi

I too am interested in finding out about any home schooling groups in Sheffield, is anyone still home schooling or know anything about any groups in Sheffield to support home schoolers? ta

Yes, Home education is still thriving in Sheffield :)

There are meetings and activities most days, too many to list here. The best route is to join the yahoo group email list http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SYHEC/ where local home educators talk and where upcoming activities are posted.

Thank you HennyPenny (and others) for all your various comments about Home Educating! We're moving from Hillsborough to Beauchief in August and haven't been able to transfer our kids to the school we wanted as it's full. Instead the LEA have told me they need to stay at their current school, for which I'd need to do 2 1-hour round trips a day. Er, no thanks!

I've always liked the idea of home educating and having just taken voluntary redundancy, it seems like the perfect opportunity to give it a go!!

I've asked to join the SYHEC group and am feeling much happier and more confident about the whole idea already :)

Hi Greenkiwi

Welcome to home education, you will not regret it :)

Once you have got on the Syhec group, you will be able to access all the activities which are ongoing.

Have you deregistered the children yet? You just need to inform the school that they need to take the children off their register as they are being home educated, they have to do so unless it is a special school where the rules are slightly different. There are sample deregistration letters on the education otherwise site.

Enjoy the rest of your lives without the school bell :)

Thank you HennyPenny (and others) for all your various comments about Home Educating! We're moving from Hillsborough to Beauchief in August and haven't been able to transfer our kids to the school we wanted as it's full. Instead the LEA have told me they need to stay at their current school, for which I'd need to do 2 1-hour round trips a day. Er, no thanks!

I've always liked the idea of home educating and having just taken voluntary redundancy, it seems like the perfect opportunity to give it a go!!

I've asked to join the SYHEC group and am feeling much happier and more confident about the whole idea already :)

Ooh lovely GreenKiwi, the relief after making the decision is fantastic isn't it. A friend of mine has recently made the decision to home educate after a long while of deliberation and you can see the weight removed from her shoulders! I look forward to seeing you at a home ed thing sometime... I don't go to many things yet, as my son is only 4, but we do go to the free range playgroup on thursdays, and some trips that are relevant. SYHEC is a great place to find out what is going on locally. What age are your children btw?

i have thought about home educate both my sons but thinking it might be a big challenge as well as it might cost a lot in looking for suitable resources. been looking on the websites and found that they are mostly expensive