Pyebank School, Pitsmoor

elaine

I am finding it incredibly wierd seeing so much of my childhood haunts, and places I have lived in as I have got older dissapearing:-

I lived on Andover drive, that's gone,

I lived on the bigest block of Hyde park, that's gone

beldon road tower block... gone

constable road ("Hemsworth County Primary") school... Flattened

the little old terraced house I lived in, just off london road:- demolished in 1979 and, 20 years on, replaced with new housing.

the area around the sheffield arena was terraced housing, where my mother's parents lived, and her grandparents on the next street. I remember that area so well. It feels really peculiar, to see the arena car park where my grandparents' and great grandparents' home used to be

We did not get close enough to the area of demolition at pitsmoor to see clearly, but it appeared that the old school building had boarded up windows. I would have thought that there would be enough children in the housing around (like the redeveloped Marcus drive), to have kept the school open.

• 3 weeks later...

This old school building was designed by the architects Innocent and Brown and opened in 1875. In 2003 the school was moved to a new, purpose-built building on Andover Street, built on the former St Catherine's RC Primary School site. The original school building is now Grade II listed. It stands in a prominent position on the hillside with great views across the city and there are plans to convert it into apartments.

I am finding it incredibly wierd seeing so much of my childhood haunts, and places I have lived in as I have got older dissapearing:-

I lived on Andover drive, that's gone,

I lived on the bigest block of Hyde park, that's gone

beldon road tower block... gone

constable road ("Hemsworth County Primary") school... Flattened

the little old terraced house I lived in, just off london road:- demolished in 1979 and, 20 years on, replaced with new housing.

the area around the sheffield arena was terraced housing, where my mother's parents lived, and her grandparents on the next street. I remember that area so well. It feels really peculiar, to see the arena car park where my grandparents' and great grandparents' home used to be

Celebrityman,

this is just too spooky.

My grandparents and great grandparents lived where the arena car park is now (Carltonville Road and Ravensworth Road)

I too went to Constable road School, and lLived later in a terraced property off London Road which was demolished in the clearances of 1979.

I also lived on Andover Drive, in the mid 1980s after moving off the big block of Hyde park!!

(And for a short time I had a flat on the 7th floor of the Mickley block on Beldon road!!!!)

• 2 months later...
I went to pye bank school in the 70s and loved it there.

Does anybody remember Mr Goodyear I think his first name was Peter he was the best teacher I ever had.

I remember him, he was a great teacher, always happy.

• 2 months later...
now you have me started.

These were some of my class mates in the last year at pye bank juniors.

(1948)

patricia atkin, nina dodd, marion fox, margaret graham, maureen greenwood, janet hodgitt, jean martin, june moorwood, anne taylor, sheila trickett, pauline woodhouse.

Albert edmonds, leslie fleming, stanley idle, albert kelsey, ronnie king, peter oliver, frank thorpe, brian tompkins, ronnie turner, stanley wheelhouse

i think there were 40 in the class but these are the only ones i remember. Its terrible what old age

hi falls, my name was nora armitage and i think i must have been in your class too. I remember all those names.

Nina dodd and jean martin were my special friends. Janet hodget lived next door to me at no. 16 gray. June moorwood,pat atkin and jean martin were in the swimming relay team with me, i remember some of the boys too especially ronnie king, peter oliver and stanley idle. Were we all in miss smiths class at the end?. Do you remember the cane she had and used it plenty of times. My hands are still smarting lol are yours.

Cheers

nora

I remember most of these people in our class. Recently met with Ronnie King, Peter Oliver, Gerald Sharman, Geoff Parkin; and Stan Idle who we had not seen since leaving Pye Bank more than 60 years ago.

Hi Frank did you live on Gray Street on the ground floor and had a Son called Shaun ( I think) he will be in his mid 50s by now...

READ THIS CAREFULLY, ALL EX PYE BANK SCHOLARS WHO ARE NOW 70 years old!

Here's some Pye Bank names from the group that moved up from the infants to the junior school in September 1946:

BOYS--Melvyn Armitage, Derrick Athorne, Terence Barrs, Roy Bayliss, George Beal, Geo. H Bland, Dennis Cresswell, Frank Trevor Compton, Terry Dalton, Brian Day, Cliff Deighton, Maurice Dugdill, John Eyre, Keith Farnsworth, Michael Fletcher, Arthur Froggatt, Peter Frost, Kenneth Giles, Brian Gill, Roy Greenwood, Horace Griffin, Sydney Gunn, Keith Hague, Leslie Harpin, Ken Harthill, Mike Higginbotham, Roy Hull, Graham Humphries, George Hunter, Ron Jefferies, Kenneth Lee, Denis Machin, Thomas May, Derek Needham, Ron Oaks, Tony Page, Raymond Pryor, Sidney Raynor, Charles Rowberry, Joseph Scarborough, Douglas Smith, Sam Stokes, Raymond Summers, Terry Taylor, Derrick Turner, John Turner, Alan Turton, Gerald Ward, Raymond Warrender, Raymond Watson, John Barry Wild.

GIRLS-- Sylvia Appleby, Maureen Athorn, Rosemary Bate, Irene May Bates, June Bennett, Wendy Bennett, Maureen Bilton, June Bingham, Sheila Bonsall, Marlene Bramall, Jean Britton, Margaret Coggin, Doreen Dewsnap, Eileen Dickenson, Jean Edgley, Margaret Ellison, Maureen Foster, Pat Gilmore, Margaret Hall, Carol Hancock, Jacqueline Hancock, Pat Harris, Eileen Harvey, Victoria Hill, Eleanor Hobson, Joyce Hobson, Norma Howsham, Brenda Kynoch, Joan Lee, Anita Marrison, Maureen Marsden, Margaret Marsh, Pauline Marshall, Betty McCabe, Pat Morton, Jean Muff, Anette Neal, Pat Neeley, Maureen Holloway (Nichols), Judith Ogden, Jean Porter, June Probert, Valerie Revill, Evelyn Rogerson, Sylvia Scratchard, Jean Scott, Barbara Shaw, Barbara Slater, Joan Spalding, Sheila Spyve, June Staley, Barbara Sylvester, Nellie Taylor, Rita Taylor, Joy Timperley, Beryl Tingle, Brenda Tingle, Avril Turner, Anne Marie Whitehead, Joyce Whittles, June Whitworth, Doreen Williams.

They would all be around 70 years old now, those who have survived. If you recognise any of those names, alert them to the fact that they are on Sheffield Forum, and get them to get a message on here to say how they are doing.

This was originally posted a year ago, and I wonder if any new members of SF have any links with anybody on it.