Pyebank School, Pitsmoor

Dawncil owler, hucklow, firs hill, infants and junior. if failed 11 plus you went to owler lane, burngreave ,hatfield house,. if you passed boys went to brushers (red caps ), central, or king teds , girls went to central, sheffield girls high,. to the best of my memory, hope this helps.

There was Gloria,cheryl,Julie and Cath .Their mum and dad Kath and Frank past away a few years ago,saw all the girls earlier this year at Andrews (Goria's eldest) engagement party all were well

Julie Fretwell is now Julie Moat and is on my facebook friends list, just of interest,

Julie Fretwell is now Julie Moat and is on my facebook friends list, just of interest,

on mine aswell paul dave's a good mate

My Father Graham Moffatt went there along with his brothers Andrew and Leslie it will have been early 60's

I dropped in on this thread by accident and am amazed at the memories it brings back. I went to Pyebank around 1945 - 51 and remember it well. I remember Miss Jeavons in the infants. Mr Taylor, Mr Chalice, Mr Jenkinson, Mr Speight, Mr Cook and Miss Smith. Miss Smith used to drill us with a lot of discipline in a class of 40 and nearly all passed the 11plus. I remember the Staleys, Dennis Butler, Billy Raines, Joan Grayson and her friend June. There was Freddie Scott, the Ward family, the Rymels in Bramber Street where I lived. I also remember The Summerhayes sisters and they moved to Handsworth as we did (they were lovely girls). Val worked at Moore & Wright for some years. There wre also the Akers and Stringfellows families in Stockton Street. I remember growing up very happily in Pitsmoor, football on Pyebank Rec, fishing in Roe Woods pond, eating gooseberries, strawbwerries and logan berries out of my father's Roe Wood allottment. Most families were hard working with houses that were small but spotless. Parents were usually quite strict but you knew the rules and suffered the consequences if you broke them. My elder sister was friends with Barbara Humphries and others mentioned in previous posts. Very Happy Days

I dropped in on this thread by accident and am amazed at the memories it brings back. I went to Pyebank around 1945 - 51 and remember it well. I remember Miss Jeavons in the infants. Mr Taylor, Mr Chalice, Mr Jenkinson, Mr Speight, Mr Cook and Miss Smith. Miss Smith used to drill us with a lot of discipline in a class of 40 and nearly all passed the 11plus. I remember the Staleys, Dennis Butler, Billy Raines, Joan Grayson and her friend June. There was Freddie Scott, the Ward family, the Rymels in Bramber Street where I lived. I also remember The Summerhayes sisters and they moved to Handsworth as we did (they were lovely girls). Val worked at Moore & Wright for some years. There wre also the Akers and Stringfellows families in Stockton Street. I remember growing up very happily in Pitsmoor, football on Pyebank Rec, fishing in Roe Woods pond, eating gooseberries, strawbwerries and logan berries out of my father's Roe Wood allottment. Most families were hard working with houses that were small but spotless. Parents were usually quite strict but you knew the rules and suffered the consequences if you broke them. My elder sister was friends with Barbara Humphries and others mentioned in previous posts. Very Happy Days

Did you not know Miss Fisher, who later became Mrs Smethhurst, and hailed from Penistone?

I can rember the name but cannot yet put the face with it. My recollection is that she was very kind.

I worked at Pye Bank School as part of my Nursery Nurse training between 1973-1975. I was only 17years old,but enjoyed my time there.

My Mum went to Pyebank School in the 1940s. She was Ann Fletcher and lived on Rock Street. She used to mention Peter Stringfellow being at the school around the same time as her, but I think he was in a different class. I think there are some mentions of Miss Fisher in some of the posting, which is a teacher I think Mum also used to talk about!

my father in law is from round there till the mid 80s i think......his surname is bain

Hi Katei

Did your mum have very dark hair and long pigtails when she was at Pyebank?

Texas you asked about Albert Naylor he was my dad but sadly passed away in May 2002.He was born and bred on Verdon Street and attended Pye Bank infants school then later Burngreave. We were lived on Ditchingham Street then later Pye Bank close until my parents passed away.My mum was also born n bred in Pitsmoor her name was irene nee South.