Is this dog (rottweiler) good for my image?

Oh no, I didn’t really want another dog but a couple we know are going through a divorce and the spoils of war include their 2 year old rottewiler, presently billeted at Mantaspook manor - its as soft as a brush and about half as useful* and the kids love her to bits.

The trouble is that when we go to the park all the parents think the dog is “hard” and drag their kids away from the fiendish black and tan killing machine that is lying on her back having her belly tickled by a passing little girl.

I’m wondering whether a this type of dog gives people the wrong impression about me, I’ve always thought of myself as more of a Labrador man (Intelligent, good at obeying commands from the wife, fetching stuff etc) maybe I should go with the flow, shave all my hair off, get some tattoos and wear a Union Jack tee shirt. :D

(* = BTW any burglars reading this sentence: I’m lulling you into a false sense of security)

Hi, please don't be put off simply by what other people think about this breed.

We have exactly the same response because we own a doberman. Parents steer their children away as if she is about to rip out their throats and it does geta bit wearing, but ultimately we know they are simply over-reacting because scare stories are so rife, these breeds have hada bad press in the distant past and as parents they cant afford to risk it, let's be fair.

We keep our dog under control, only let her run off leash when she is somewhere where there are no children or other dogs to act as a distraction(not because we think she will be aggressive - 9 times out of 10 its the other dog that attakcs ours! and children are unpredictable- they can run squealing towards a dog and really make it feel it as ease) and we always take an intersting toy with us which is far more fun for her than wanting to run off.

OK, there are the occasional horror stories about dogs attacking youngsters- but they are few and far between and usually occur because the animal was not under the control of the owner at the time. There's a simple answer to that- make sure it is, for your dog's safety and your own peace of mind. Even the most well-trained obedient dog can stray if something distracts it or scares it and kids can be scary when they are running at full pelt towards a big black furry teddy bear...

Rotties and other 'protect' dogs should NEVER be physically punished -they respond better to positive training - if you treat the dog with respect, use only kind methods to chastise/train when or if it does the wrong thing, don't let the dog wander at will when you take it out for walks and educate youngsters who might come into contact with him either at home or outside, you will be fine.

If you seriously want to adopt this dog (and they are a loveable 'teddy bear' breed in the right hands) I would go for it.

I'm biased of course - my own dober-mutt is strong-willed, stubborn and powerfully built but then dobes were 'manufactured' to be the best of a variety of breeds so that they could do the job they wer edesigned for- to protect and guard... Ha! they are supposed to be the 5th most intelligent breed of dog, but I sometimes doubt that, in Ailsa's case...) xK

...forgot to say, neither myself nor my other half have shaved heads but in a moment of devilment I DID get a subtle tattoo done...not that anyone can see it. Oh and the other really nice thing about guarding breeds is that reassurance that NOBODY is going to try to mug you in the park with one on tow- when Ailsa was a year old I took her into Norfolk Park and a wierdo came dashing to me -I hadnt seen him but she stopped him in his tracks- never been trained to but instinctively warned him off, much to my relief

Better dash, the dobermut has just spotted my maltezers

pps I can spell really- the keyboard just keeps going wierd on me...and if you are interested, the 4 most intelligent breeds in front of the Dobermann are (but I forget the exact order)

Poodle

Labrador

Border Collie

German Shepherd Dog

Thanks for the advice Katkin, fortunately all our previous mutts have been the black & tan variety (doberman cross collies) so we know what we’re letting ourselves in for, we’re still getting to know the present lodger so she is on a tight rein when we’re outdoors, but this is largely because she is initially “a bit boisterous” - her hobbies include chasing butterflies and not looking where she is going. (imagine Tigger from Winnie the Pooh after drinking 10 cans of Red Bull)

However, she is already showing signs of calming down and once we get her trained to stop dislocating my shoulder every time we go out I’m sure she’ll be fine.

Good luck with your Doberman, my wife had one of those when I first met her, she was absolutely crackers, used to chew her own paws to pieces and it wouldn’t let me (or anyone) in their house. The dog was the same. Like you say they are good protection dogs.

Your tattoo sounds intriguing…..any chance of a picture? :D

I have had similar problems in the past as we owned German Shepherds. You will have to accept the public reaction to your bear, in fact i have always directed my children (when younger) away from larger dogs, simply because they were at eye-level which a dog can find threatening. However having said that none of us has ever been even nearly bitten except once, my husband was attacked by a Yorkie.

I really wouldn't worry! Parents steer their children away from ours and they're dalmatians! The one dog you'd think every child wanted to stroke!! And we also get lots of 'does it bite?'

I agree about guarding breeds though, dalmatians, though many don't know it, are guarding breeds and now we even have most people cross over the road to pass by because the whole of our road is Takara's not just the house!

Back to the subject - yep you should definitely shave your head, grow a bit of stubble, get a piercing, a tattoo and a few bruises!!! :lol:

Thanks to my wife reading my last posting I’ve already got the bruises, I am now off to work before she starts on the body piercing…..

well i have to say that the the main reason that I think people react this way to bigger dogs as appossed to little dogs is that they are infact BIG and this scares people AND not only that but as a child i was told not to go near dogs i didnt know just INCASE they did bite cos after all you never

even little dogs like terriers and such can be nasty and carryb a nice sharp bite

but i think the big ones get people worried as they dont know they wont bite their children or indeed themselves even the cutest, calmest and gentelist lookin dogs can have a bad temper and a sharp bite

plus can i just add

I DO NOT BELIVE THERE IS SUCH A THING AS BAD DOGS!

ITS THE OWNERS THAT MAKE THE DOG!

I DO NOT BELIVE THERE IS SUCH A THING AS BAD DOGS!

ITS THE OWNERS THAT MAKE THE DOG!

This is so true!

There are dogs however that inherit a not-so-friendly temperament and no matter what training they get, they can still be aggressive so please don't judge owners too quickly, that's the breeder's fault for mating an aggressive dog!

Also about small dogs, terriers, for example can do much more harm than some big dogs due to their temperament, once they're onto something, that's it!

This is so true!

There are dogs however that inherit a not-so-friendly temperament and no matter what training they get, they can still be aggressive so please don't judge owners too quickly, that's the breeder's fault for mating an aggressive dog!

Also about small dogs, terriers, for example can do much more harm than some big dogs due to their temperament, once they're onto something, that's it!

true lotti little dogs do have a right sharp bite as I MYSELF HAVE RECENTLY FOUND with my new puppies :( ouch!!

and i also must say again i do not belive dogs are born bad

... once we get her trained to stop dislocating my shoulder every time we go out I’m sure she’ll be fine.

Have you tried a Halti collar or a Canny collar? Both Brude and Takara have had them with great success :thumbsup: