Sheffield Show in Hillsborough Park

Is it me or do you miss the sheffield show in hillsborough park?

Iv'e been to one in Graves park , but to me it wasn't the same am i just been sentimental?

And what else does the park have to offer to the sheffield public? I used to love the SS all the stalls the army's famous Wall (but i were too youg) horses ,getting into a fire engine and them bikes you could go on driving round that make believe road with the junctions.Plus you used to go home with a bag full of baloons and badges and stickers it were great.

My dad often talks about how good the Sheffield Show was back in the Hillsborough Park days.

He always remembers clambering into the roof hatch of an Alvis Stalwart (huge 6-wheeled amphibious military vehicle) and closing himself into the cab while none of the attending soldiers were looking...

I Remember seeing Chas and Dave performing quite a few songs on the Radio Hallam Marquee.

Oh those were the days!!

My mum used to send me and my brothers to climb over the bottom gate of the park (Hawksley Road enterance) and pick up tickets so we could get in for free!!

I remember seeing Bad Manners play there live one year and it was absolutely amazing. The atmosphere was brilliant with everyone up dancing and singing regardless of age etc.

The Sheffield Show used to be really good then, loads to do and lots of entertainment. You always came home with bags and bags of stuff, all freebies. The etertainment was always good too in the big and small arenas. We loved it and always went.

Since it moved to Graves Park we have been a couple of times but all it is now is an expensive day out to look at lots of advertising stalls. If I wanted to look at double glazing I'd go to a shop!!

So It Wasn't Just Me And My Next Door Neighbour's Kids Who Ended Up Coming Home With Bags Full Of Stickers,Hats And General Rubbish From The Sheffield Show.We Used To Compete As To Who Could Get The Most Stuff.

I Can Remember Bad Manners Playing There,But Didn't See Them.

The Sheffield Show Went Downhill As Soon Has The "Loony Left" Got In And Kicked Out The Forces From The Show.We Kids Loved To Climb Around On The Tanks & Stuff,And Thanks To The Local Goervnment I Never Got A Chance To Climb Up That Wooden Wall/Mountain.I Really Wanted To Have A Go,Especially The Absailing Bit To Get Back To The Ground.

I Can Remember A Tent Selling Bags Of Those "Snaps" Type Crisps.They'd Fry Them While You Waited.Also,The Smell Of Fresh Doughnuts,And The Smell Of The Flower Tents.

Couldnt agree with you all more.

Especially Freebird, having read all the comments I wondered how long it was going to be before someone could remember the big crsips that they fried whilst you waited and they always came out looking like todays Quavers.

As a kid, I used to jump on the 57 bus for 2p and travel down from Stocksbridge with some of my mates and we also used to see who could get the biggest bag full of cardboard hats that opened up in the middle like a spiral and all the othe rleaflets, stickers and goodies you could grab.

Bring it all back.

Tazman.

Originally posted by Freebird

So It Wasn't Just Me And My Next Door Neighbour's Kids Who Ended Up Coming Home With Bags Full Of Stickers,Hats And General Rubbish From The Sheffield Show.We Used To Compete As To Who Could Get The Most Stuff.

I Can Remember Bad Manners Playing There,But Didn't See Them.

The Sheffield Show Went Downhill As Soon Has The "Loony Left" Got In And Kicked Out The Forces From The Show.We Kids Loved To Climb Around On The Tanks & Stuff,And Thanks To The Local Goervnment I Never Got A Chance To Climb Up That Wooden Wall/Mountain.I Really Wanted To Have A Go,Especially The Absailing Bit To Get Back To The Ground.

I Can Remember A Tent Selling Bags Of Those "Snaps" Type Crisps.They'd Fry Them While You Waited.Also,The Smell Of Fresh Doughnuts,And The Smell Of The Flower Tents.

God those were the days!!!:thumbsup: the only thing i did thats not on here was me and my mates climbed over the toilet wall on pen, rd to get in:hihi:

Before Hillsboro' Park, the Sheffield Show used to be held in the Farm Grounds on Granville road. Travelling there by tram was like going to the other side of the world from Hillsboro'. this would be in the early 50's. To be exactly correct, I think that this was the forerunner of the Sheffield Show.

I recall going there as a kid in the 70's and on th radio Hallam stage they had Hot Chocolate singing there latest hit.....the bald headed bloke bent down and kissed me on the head.....all my mates thought that was hilarious...I didnt!

I remember this, back through the foggy memories in my beer-addled mind I can recall tents, music, free copies of the star and those card hats that were flat till you pulled them down onto your head...back in the days when Hilsborough park was used for something other than cr*ping dogs and accomadating toruing Eastern European circusfolk!

Originally posted by Jossman

Before Hillsboro' Park, the Sheffield Show used to be held in the Farm Grounds on Granville road. Travelling there by tram was like going to the other side of the world from Hillsboro'. this would be in the early 50's. To be exactly correct, I think that this was the forerunner of the Sheffield Show.

I have a distant memory that this was also where the big travelling fairs used to come to before they went to Oakes Park out at Norton.

Can anyone else remember this?