It would depend on whether you want to own the leasehold or the freehold. If you only want to own the leasehold, you would only need to persuade the leaseholder to sell to you. If you want the freehold, you would have to influence both parties. 

You can find out who each is for £3 from the Land Registry. 

If you approach either out of the blue, explain why you want the land and indicate your willingness to negotiate a fair price. 

Yes, just go to the Land Registry site, but I got to mention that it will only be that easy IF the land is registered.

Not all land is registered. Hopefully you will be find that it is registered. If it isn't, I would suggest that you should try to find the leaseholder first. You might need to make enquiries with the owners of the land that is next to the land you want to buy. If you have the original deeds yto your own house, you might also review these for clues as to who the freeholder might be - it could be the same person who originally owned the land on which your home sits. 

10 hours ago, Jorge Turton said:

Thank you 

The land owner coppen is on the register but not the landlord 

I'm stuck now awaiting a response from council 

🤔🤔

Coppen Estates?

It is worth doing a search on the forum for previous threads about people trying to buy from them!

• Like 1

Hi

Thanks yep I've realised that 

I have read the threads 

They are all right 

After emails telephone calls Facebook etc. 

I have now decided to involve the council to force someone to clear the land 

When I can see someone from the top flat I will speak to them but there is never much movement from them 

The downstairs flat landlord is quite rude and obnoxious and says it's all his land Even though he has only just cleared to land in his garden which was also bad .

Oh well happy days I won't give up 

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/05/2024 at 12:08, Jorge Turton said:

The land owner coppen is on the register but not the landlord 

If Coppen (Estates) Ltd is the registered proprietor of the freehold title

a. it IS the landlord;

b. any leases to which its freehold is subject will be listed in the Schedule of Notice of Leases; but

c. it will not sell its freehold reversion other than to a person who- as leaseholder- has statutory rights to buy it.

If you meant that there is a leasehold but that it's still unregistered, you'd have much more of a problem and it's way too complex to explain on a public discussion forum such as SF.