Sheffield Election Results 2024

From the BBC:

“We've just been hearing from Oliver Coppard following his re-election as mayor of South Yorkshire. 

“In his victory speech, Coppard directed criticism at the government for its "failure to level up our country, to do what is right for the whole of our country".

““I cannot promise to answer every question we face, to immediately overcome the many problems that we’re up against in our communities, across 14 years of Tory governments and 40 years of industrial decline," he says.

““But I can promise – indeed, I do promise – never to neglect that challenge. And to always think first of those who all too often come last.”

“He says he would use his renewed mandate to "pursue the change we so desperately need across South Yorkshire" and give everyone living there the chance to "stay near and go far.

Whether you voted for me or not, whether you stayed home or campaigned for another candidate, whether you are my biggest fan or my biggest detractor, if you call South Yorkshire your home, then I am proud to be your mayor."”

• Like 1

I wonder how much changing demographics/gentrification, are changing the voting patterns: whole areas are changing

nearly over night as the South buys up the North, look at Hillsborough,

Working class. especially tenants are being pushed out to the periphery, even further. It is happening in all major cities,

and the politicians, opinion formers, etc, seem happy with it