Mk4 Mondeo Flywheels

Ey up!.

Just wondering if anyone has fitted a Single mass flywheel to a Mk4 Mondingo? ..  Just wondering as I am on borrowed time with mine, Kind of odd really rattles like mad when cold (Goes when clutch is pressed) but almost goes all together when warmed up 😕 ..  Anyway I'm not trying to cheap out, I will fit the new DMF buuuuut I have seen SMF conversion kits and the clutch plates included have some pretty meaty looking springs in them. Gots me wondering if anyone else has done this, seen one video and it rattled on idle but then again not 100% sure if the dude put the correct clutch plate in.  If it works I may go that route just for longevity reasons.

Not sure on the Mondeo, but I've heard some of the Transit engines fall apart if you switch to a single mass unit. 

They need the dual mass unit to keep the engine from rattling apart.

23 minutes ago, Resident said:

You can fit them but expect the car to shake itself to bits afterwards. Gearboxes tend to fail within a year from my experience too. 

That even with a sprung clutch plate? .. 

11 minutes ago, Vanadeo said:

That even with a sprung clutch plate? .. 

Yeah. I've two mates who have both done the SM conversion after being told by a mechanic that it'll be fine. 

Both cars had awful idle vibrations & within a year one had gearbox failure, both needed replacement engine/gearbox mounts amongst other peripheral parts. 

Ford used a DMF for a reason. Given that cost is one of the major build factors in car manufacturering, if they could have used cheaper SM flywheels then they would have. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gaz678 said:

Scrap it dfw are very expensive to fit mine went on astra garage asked for a grand ..by by astra 😢

No lol 😂 not scrapping it .. loads of life left in it after I get it done... I've just done timing belt too.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Vanadeo said:

No lol 😂 not scrapping it .. loads of life left in it after I get it done... I've just done timing belt too.

It's me pal got no patience... hope it works out for you 🙏 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gaz678 said:

It's me pal got no patience... hope it works out for you 🙏 

I'll be honest, I not long got it and paid nowt for it. It seeeeeems solid so it's worth doing and I might do it mi sen. It's a bit annoying cos on test drive there was no noise what so ever, bout a week later I noticed it knocking lmao.. I think I got a good couple of months in it.. Once it starts getting to point when I can hear it even when it's warmed up I'll get it done then.  Wish I could go single flywheel route but I got multiple people telling me I'll have no gearbox or crank within a year soooo xD.. 150K its lasted and I don't drive hard so tbf that's life of car with another DMF.

I don't think a solid flywheel conversion is that much cheaper than a replacement DMF anyway. 

The only benefit would be that after another 150k miles your DMF would again need replacing, while the regular flywheel could just be skimmed and re-used.