Sign in to follow this  

Rent Increase For April - Calculations

Just after some clarification please.

I've had my letter from the Council giving details of the  rent increase from 1 April which I expected. I calculated it using the forumla that the Council use. Turns out they have lumped on almost £30 a month.

I rang them this morning to ask why and it seems some has been added on because its a leap year this year so they calculate it over 50 days and not 51. The rest of the increase is to cover costs until the next financial year. They have offered to lower it what the set direct debit should be but have said it won't be an even balance by April 2025.

My online balance is showing I am in arrears, which I never am, I pay direct debit every month. I was told this looks outstanding until my rent goes out in April and then will clear. If I was in arrears I would have received a letter about it.

So where has this ludicrous increase come from? Has any other Council tenant had it? I live in a one bedroomed flat by the way.

It's hard to say if a £30 increase is ludicrous because nobody knows what this is as a percentage 

25 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

It's hard to say if a £30 increase is ludicrous because nobody knows what this is as a percentage 

7.7% is the increase SCC have implemented. 

So if I've done it right. (not well ATM so head is fuzzy)

Pre-increase: ~£360
Post-Increase: ~£390

Looking on Zoopla, the average price for a 1-bed flat, privately, is around £500 on the outskirts of the city, upwards of £1200 in the city centre. 

Seems fair enough to me then, people can try their luck in the private sector if they dont like it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Seems fair enough to me then, people can try their luck in the private sector if they dont like it.

Cracking reply  :rolleyes:

Just now, hackey lad said:

Cracking reply  :rolleyes:

Thanks. 

Thank you for the calculation Resident.

Not keen on the other sarcastic replies. I don't want to try my luck in the private sector thank you.

According to the rent increase of 7.7% my rent should go up accordingly, like it has done previously. 

I know what my calculation is and fair enough about the leap year, but to add extra for the financial year is a nonsense. Rents always go from April to April so why should this mean a hike like this?

Incidentially I am now being charged 500.00 for a one bed flat as Resident has calculated this on the private sector. My flat is not private, the Council is my landlord so it should it be cheaper.

47 minutes ago, Retro Queen said:

I don't want to try my luck in the private sector thank you.

Of course not. Because it wouldn't be 500 quid or under. 

50 minutes ago, Retro Queen said:

Thank you for the calculation Resident.

Not keen on the other sarcastic replies. I don't want to try my luck in the private sector thank you.

According to the rent increase of 7.7% my rent should go up accordingly, like it has done previously. 

I know what my calculation is and fair enough about the leap year, but to add extra for the financial year is a nonsense. Rents always go from April to April so why should this mean a hike like this?

Incidentially I am now being charged 500.00 for a one bed flat as Resident has calculated this on the private sector. My flat is not private, the Council is my landlord so it should it be cheaper.

My bold.

I've private rented for over 10 years now and my landlord is waaaaay better that scc. 

I'd NEVER rent from Sheffield Council again. They are terrible landlords .

17 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

My bold.

I've private rented for over 10 years now and my landlord is waaaaay better that scc. 

I'd NEVER rent from Sheffield Council again. They are terrible landlords .

How much is your weekly rent though?

3 minutes ago, Retro Queen said:

How much is your weekly rent though?

I pay 180 pw.

For that I have a 3 story 4 bed house.

Large living room, large dining room, 2 bathrooms and a driveway. 

Repairs and maintenance is done when needed with little wait time and unlike the council he's easy to get hold of in an emergency. 

I realise 180 a week is a lot but it's by choice. He has cheaper properties but I like this house, location (most of the time 😁) I'm close to Parkgate, Meadowhall, Sheffield Parkway and the M1 and my daughter loves having the top floor to herself. All in all we are very happy.

• Like 2

That';

5 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

I pay 180 pw.

For that I have a 3 story 4 bed house.

Large living room, large dining room, 2 bathrooms and a driveway. 

Repairs and maintenance is done when needed with little wait time and unlike the council he's easy to get hold of in an emergency. 

I realise 180 a week is a lot but it's by choice. He has cheaper properties but I like this house, location (most of the time 😁) I'm close to Parkgate, Meadowhall, Sheffield Parkway and the M1 and my daughter loves having the top floor to herself. All in all we are very happy.

That is a lot but worth it if you're happy there. Are all the bills included too?