School Fines - Discrimination Against The Family Unit

11 hours ago, El Cid said:

I recall it was a week off school, it was around 10 years ago. Schools dont want to irritate the parents of their pupils, they prefer not to issue fines.

I believe many schools turn a blind eye to an extra week off.

At the end of term some go on a rewards trip to Alton Towers, on a school day!

Alton Towers is much less educational than Egypt or S Korea etc.

>>Schools don't want to irritate the parents of their pupils, they prefer not to issue fines.<<

Unfortunately it is some schools don't want to irritate the parents of their pupils, they prefer not to issue fines

11 hours ago, pfifes said:

The fines in themselves will deter some parents, but not all of course.  I think the ****ing people off is kind of the point though isn’t it?  It’s sending out the message that it’s not considered acceptable.

On the ‘yet again being told his to live our lives point’, I believe you run a business don’t you?  I don’t know how many you employ but would you be happy about a significant proportion of your staff insisting they take their annual leave  during a busy period leaving you understaffed because they don’t want to be told how to live their lives? I’m guessing not, and you have an organised system for booking leave.  Well schools are similar, they can’t have significant numbers of children taking holidays in term time as it’s very disruptive. They have designed school holidays so children have time off at the same time so learning isn’t disrupted.

I do think some schools have taken things a bit too far with attendance but the fines are unfortunately needed to maintain order.  Some people will do whatever the heck they want unless they’re hit in the pocket.

Again you have the wrong end of the stick. That would be the equivalent of parents taking there kids on holiday during the exams, few would do that.

I maintain that fines make little difference other than to **** off parents, and they have certainly ****ed us off big time. In fact, rightly or wrongly, we blame the school, thus we do not feel as positive toward the school as we did.

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

But you would not normally be fined for exceeding the 30mph speed limit by 4mph (that's usually the limit, 5mph over and you'd get done). That's the whole point. There is flexibility.

The policy of punishing parents for non school attendance should be aimed at those whose kids miss large amounts of school, not a week a year.

I have had a fine at 34 mph plus 3 points ,but I would also reiterate my main point that the continuing and recovery of “lost” education across the board is easier for a teacher to manage than individuals opting out at various times as suits their parents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

I have had a fine at 34 mph plus 3 points ,but I would also reiterate my main point that the continuing and recovery of “lost” education across the board is easier for a teacher to manage than individuals opting out at various times as suits their parents.

I appreciate it's going off topic, but do you still have the paperwork showing 34mph?
Sites such as Pepipoo (currently offline) have never managed to find a case prosecuted below the original ACPO guidelines, which say prosecutions should only start at 10% + 2mph, so 35 in a 30, 46 in a 40 etc.

1 hour ago, peak4 said:

I appreciate it's going off topic, but do you still have the paperwork showing 34mph?
Sites such as Pepipoo (currently offline) have never managed to find a case prosecuted below the original ACPO guidelines, which say prosecutions should only start at 10% + 2mph, so 35 in a 30, 46 in a 40 etc.

Perhaps to my shame over 40 years of driving around the country I have picked up a few.All but one regarding the 30 mph limit plus one on the M1.

That particular one was at least 30 years ago as I exited the A1 near Grantham and it was a roadside police camera.

No I don’t have the paperwork but reverting to my comment I would not have been voting for fines when they applied to me 😁 even if it was for 35 mph.

1 minute ago, RJRB said:

Perhaps to my shame over 40 years of driving around the country I have picked up a few.All but one regarding the 30 mph limit plus one on the M1.

That particular one was at least 30 years ago as I exited the A1 near Grantham and it was a roadside police camera.

No I don’t have the paperwork but reverting to my comment I would not have been voting for fines when they applied to me 😁 even if it was for 35 mph.

That would probably explain it, before the ACPO guidelines; I can recall someone, in a red top paper, with the usual sad face holding up a 31mph ticket from North Wales, but have never re-found it.

12 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Again you have the wrong end of the stick. That would be the equivalent of parents taking there kids on holiday during the exams, few would do that.

I maintain that fines make little difference other than to **** off parents, and they have certainly ****ed us off big time. In fact, rightly or wrongly, we blame the school, thus we do not feel as positive toward the school as we did.

Not really.  You clearly have issues when you feel others are stopping you doing something you want to do.  Most of us grow out of that in adulthood.  
Let’s say a lot of your staff wanted a certain week off and you’d struggle to run your business through being short staffed.  What do you do?  Say, ‘no problem, I don’t want to tell you how to live your life or **** you off, you can all have that week off’.

• Like 1